Marine or Auto..??

Holy Shamolee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently bought a 1980 Tollycraft.
The seller informed me he put a used engine in it with only 225 hrs. It is a 5,0 L G chev block. The block casting numbers indicate the block was cast in 1988.
He has painted everything black and it looks like a mercruiser.(Probably because it's painted black). Definitely a volvo ignition. ( tags are still on it. Very old! )
volvo 280 leg.
I'm trying to change the oil.
The very small dipstick barely fits down the dipstick tube, there is no way I can get any sort of tube down there to drain oil. It is in the side and has many twists and turns.
I could get a container under the oil , pan but I don't know if you can loosen the drain plug on a marine engine. I have not tried yet.
As I look around for some sort of tube I notice it has a block heater in it.
I can not see anywhere to get the oil out.
I'm beginning to think it was an auto engine.
Starter and alternator numbers match up with marine parts.
I changed the carburetor. The one that was on it came off an old Oldsmobile. It was 800cfm and when I punch the numbers into the internet it tells me 1978 Olds.
How can I tell if this is a marine engine?

86 century

Ensign
Re: Marine or Auto..??

Look at the core plugs(freeze plugs) are they brass.

The problem you are gana have is auto and marine blocks are the same so no casting differences.

I have in the past put a drain pan under the eng drain the oil then use a pump of some kind to empty the pan.

Does the dipstick tube have a threaded boss on it if so you can get an attachment to pump the oil out if not it is an automotive tube and doesn't go deep enough to get all the oil out.

tpenfield

Staff member

Usually, the marine engines will have a tag riveted to them (somewhere) indicating the engine serial number, etc. Mercruisers have the tag near the starter motor; not sure where a Volvo-Penta tag would be.

Marine engines are usually tuck engines with a modified cam. So, the engine block would be pretty much the same. All the fuel and electrical stuff would be marine for safety reasons.

The engine should probably be painted red, not black, since it is a Volvo-Penta; but it won't really help it at all.

Holy Shamolee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just noticed it has a block heater in it.
I'm not thinking this is good>

Holy Shamolee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It doesn't really matter now>>>
It's knocking like hell.
My local marine shop will sell me a 5.7 mercruiser crate engine for 5 Grand. Vortec
Apparently I will need my alternator, seawater pump and exhaust manifolds.It's supposed to come with everything else.
I think I will put it in.
Hope I do not have too many issues switching the motor from a volvo to a mercruiser.

RedlineGT

Recruit

Usually, the marine engines will have a tag riveted to them (somewhere) indicating the engine serial number, etc. Mercruisers have the tag near the starter motor; not sure where a Volvo-Penta tag would be.

Marine engines are usually tuck engines with a modified cam. So, the engine block would be pretty much the same. All the fuel and electrical stuff would be marine for safety reasons.

The engine should probably be painted red, not black, since it is a Volvo-Penta; but it won't really help it at all.

The engine tag for the penta is on the bellhousing. If it is indeed a real penta :p

Holy Shamolee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I see trouble already. The Vortec manifold seems a lot higher than the original. I only have a couple inches clearance between the engine cover and the top of the carburetor.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

I see trouble already. The Vortec manifold seems a lot higher than the original. I only have a couple inches clearance between the engine cover and the top of the carburetor.

I'd get creative and mod the cover, the Vortec is one heck of a nice motor and if it was me I'd keep it and do the wood work.