2000 Johnson 175 hp problem

I apologize if this has been answered in another thread but I am new to the forum. I have 2000 Johnson 175 hp 2 stroke(carbed) on a 2000 Javelin Renegade 19 and I have been experiencing a problem with the engine warning lights inside of the tachometer going off when Im running down the lake. It does its normal self test when I turn the ignition into the on position and all 4 warning lights(no oil, hot, check engine, low oil) turn on with the alarm sounding for 1/2 a second and the lights turn off in sequence like normal but when I start the motor and start going down the lake the lights continue to do the same thing every 5-10 seconds. My tachometer is also not working(maybe related to warning light problem but not sure). I ran it down the lake the other day for about 15-20 minutes with the lights going off so im almost certain that if it was a VRO problem my motor would have blown already. About once or twice during the lake run I noticed that when I would try to accelerate from sitting still the boat would only go about 5 mph like it was in s.l.o.w. mode and when I turned it off and back on it would run normal. What could be the problem? Any advice will be much appreciated!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Johnson 175 hp problem

The Self Test mode of the System Check gauge will reset whenever electicity is interrupted. Watch another gauge as you run down lake and see if any gauge drops, just before self-test mode activates. The same thing happens to me whenever I hit a significant wave. I cannot seem to track it down to the ign switch, Tachometer or wiring.

Are you sure you are not overheating and going into SLOW mode?

I havent checked how hot its been getting. I've ordered a voltage regulator for it and should be getting it in sometime next week. I hope that will fix the problem because everybody I've talked to says its the regulator. If that doesnt fix it I will definitely check the motor and see if it is overheating. Would the engine shut off or go into slow mode if the VRO pump has malfunctioned?

cokeman22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a 2000 Johnson 250 and my Vro went last year it would run fine for about 15-20 min then go into slow mode. Then got a new Vro then ran great again .

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

VRO (actually the correct term is OMS) is not connected to the SLOW mode. If the OMS does not detect oil at the pump, the "No oil" alarm will illuminate and an alarm will sound, if things are working properly.

The new voltage regulator may (may) cause the tach to read properly. Have you checked the tach wiring? Ohm out the grey wire to ground and see if it is shorted anywhere. Is the battery charging?

I did have to replace the cranking battery the other day because it wouldnt hold a charge. It was running fine when I took it out on the water about 3 weeks ago and then when I tried to run it a couple days after that the battery was dead as a door nail. I went to the parts store and bought another battery and it cranked fine. I ran it for about an hour and then turned it off to fish for a few hours and then turned it on to go back to the dock and after about 15 minutes thats when I had the tach and service light problem. I did have wingnuts on the battery so I have bad feeling that I might have fried something electrical due to loose wingnuts but not sure. :facepalm: I turned the ignition into the on position and noticed that there were 12 amps on the gauge and when I turned it it was at 13 amps so that sounds good.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, well it sounds like the VR is working. I would verify with a voltmeter on the battery. Measeure voltage at the battery with the engine off. Now start her on the flusher and measure battery voltage again. And again at fast idle. If she is charging, then tach is bad or wiring is bad....

I suppose the VR could have a bad diode, and still charge half as much.....

I will check it first thing this morning. What kind of readings am I looking for? Apologize for all the questions but Im kinda of green when it comes to outboards lol. I wiil also update when I install the new VR.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The real test is to use a ammeter and known load to test the VR. However, that test is too hard for me. See if the motor will charge 14V. If it will, the VR is likely good. However, do a short test. With motor off and key off, put an ammeter (multimeter works OK on 10A setting), between the positive battery cable and the positive battery post. If you see amperage, there is a short somewhere. I would then disconnect the VR and see if it goes away.

Well just before I replaced the old VR I turned the motor on and I didnt even see or hear the self test lights come on like they did before and the tach gauge was still not working. I went ahead and replaced the old VR with the new one and the tach and service lights still do not work. I did test the battery with the multimeter and dindt get any readings so thats a good sign. Now Im guessing that the tach is bad but not sure. That still wouldnt explain why my motor is going into slow mode(has only happened 2-3 times). I also checked the temp by placing my hand over the cylinder head and could put my hand on it for about 1-2 seconds. It starting to sound like I have an electrical problem somewhere but not sure exactly where. If this helps any, the model number on the motor is J175PLSSC.

Well I fixed the problem just disconnected and connected tach wires and it worked. Tach works along with warning lights and conducted a 3 hour test run on the lake today which turned out great. Boat runs like a top! That new VR worked great! Thanks you guys that have replied! I really appreciate it!