Another new boater

Sunspots

Cadet
Hi all,

They say the happiest 2 days a boat owner has is the day he buys a boat and the day he sells it. :)

I'm now the owner of a 1989 Sea Ray 180 Open Bow XL with a 150 HP Mariner outboard.

I'm new to boating, but have been reading these forums over the past month and I've been impressed with the general helpful nature and lack of drama. :). It's been a good education as I learned a lot of what to look for and it helped me focus on the type of first boat I should buy.

I have it at the shop getting some attention, but hope to have first splash this weekend.

I'm sure I'll be posting more in the various forums as there's a couple of restoration projects I need to tackle, like a new rub rail.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Another new boater

Congratulations!! Sounds like a nice boat to start with. Enjoy!!!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Yeah and who ever says that saying is an idiot of epic proportions, You are either a Boater or you are not, Boats need maintenance, just like your car or your lawn mower, another stupid saying is Boat means Break out another thousand, if your just a llittle bit handy and a little bit more intelligent you can have a great time boating and not spend enormous amounts of money that others spend because they choose not to do it themselves.

Take care of your boat, if things need fixed then fix them, your boat will last you many years and provide you and your family so many happy memories you too will understand why I have enough passion to ignore people who let their mouths run before they take responsibility for themselves.

southkogs

Staff member

Welcome aboard Sunspots - enjoy the boat. If you do it right, there's only one happiest day in a boater's life :)

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Welcome to iboats, Sunspots. Where will you be using your rig (your profile doesn't show where you are)?

DB Cooper

Cadet

Yeah and who ever says that saying is an idiot of epic proportions, You are either a Boater or you are not, Boats need maintenance, just like your car or your lawn mower, another stupid saying is Boat means Break out another thousand, if your just a llittle bit handy and a little bit more intelligent you can have a great time boating and not spend enormous amounts of money that others spend because they choose not to do it themselves.

Take care of your boat, if things need fixed then fix them, your boat will last you many years and provide you and your family so many happy memories you too will understand why I have enough passion to ignore people who let their mouths run before they take responsibility for themselves.

Well said, I get tired of reading those sayings.

We live in a world where there are countless You Tube videos on repairing almost anything. Get a shop manual, watch some videos and ask questions on this forum so you can do most of the maintenance yourself. An older boat is a great one to learn on.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

It can be an expensive way to spend your afternoons for sure. So is anything else worth doing. I agree that the happiest 2 days are the day you buy the boat and the day you sell it. But I've never sold a boat before I bought a bigger one ;).