Bravo 3 - should mechanic have noticed?

elarson

Recruit
2000 260 Sea Ray Sundancer 5.7EFI Merc Bravo 3 (220 hours).

I damaged the lower casing last October. $4 grand for R&R the entire drive, new upper/lower gaskets/magnesium anodes, fix both SS props.

I'm upset it took my mechanic from early April until June 9th to get the boat ready for the water. One story about being busy after another. Finally we get to use the boat. As I trim the drive, I get two audible alarms and the entire system (electric and mechanical) hiccups/hesitates and then gets back to business. Perhaps the trim sending unit?

And on top of that, I now run through a resevoir of gear lube on a Saturday afternoon and find it in the bilge. It takes about 5 of the oil soak up rags sold at West Marine to clean it up (all contained in the bilge - no rainbows in the water).

I had a smaller friend climb in and trace the lube hose back to the transom. That's where it appears to be leaking. So repull the drive and get the hose connected. A two hour job?

Is this something that should have been detected when the drive was removed? Reconnected poorly or just coincidental?

My mechanic says we should pressure test the drive to find the leak and he wants to wait til the end of the season when we winterize. I can't do that.

I'm afraid to take it back to this guy (he's the onsite mechanic and the marina management doesn't allow outside mechanics to be brought in unless I pay the $150 surcharge).

Before I loose all faith in this mechanic and take my business elsewhere... should he have inspected the 90* plastic part and c-clip where they connect at the transom? Or am I too critical?

Thanks for reading.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bravo 3 - should mechanic have noticed?

Before I loose all faith in this mechanic and take my business elsewhere... should he have inspected the 90* plastic part and c-clip where they connect at the transom? Or am I too critical?

If he didn't replace the fitting or remove the bellhousing or do anything but the outdrive why would he notice it was off? As you may have noticed, that fitting is not in an easy place to see.

elarson

Recruit

Don - You are correct sir!

I have a call in to my mechanic to find the leak and fix it. The good news for him is he's about 5'6" and 150 lbs which should give him easier access.

As to the entire system cutting out when I trim the drive, any ideas there? Electrical? Sending unit or limit switch?

Don S

As to the entire system cutting out when I trim the drive, any ideas there? Electrical? Sending unit or limit switch?

Sounds like loose or corroded connections somewhere. Check them all. Including battery cables. replace wingnuts with nylocks and tighen with a wrench.

TilliamWe

Banned

As Don said, the hose wouldn't have been seen.

And there shouldn't be any need to pressure test the drive, you found the leak, and it's not the drive.

elarson

Recruit

Update - after turning myself into a contortionist and looking at the transom, I don't see any lube leaking. Mechanic is going to pull the drive and check for gear lube in bellows.

From what I've been reading in other threads... sounds like the upper seal or the yoke seal.

If the drive had just been rebuilt, is this an extra charge I can expect?

Don S

If the drive had just been rebuilt, is this an extra charge I can expect?

Did the mechanic do any repairs of the upper, or was it just replace the lower unit and put it back on the boat.
Since we don't have a clue what all was done, or what the problem is now, how can anyone say if you will get extra charges or not. Ask the shop you have it at, they are the ones who know whats going on.

elarson

Recruit

Sorry for any confusion. Thought I said in OP R&R entire drive, replace upper and lower seals, anodes and fix props.

Don S

Sorry for any confusion. Thought I said in OP R&R entire drive, replace upper and lower seals, anodes and fix props.

What we say or think about who does or doesn't pay means nothing. Your mechanic is not looking at this forum to find out what he will or will not cover. Ask him.

Keep in mind, this is a forum to help people fix their engines and drives, not a lawyer/court forum where we get to hear one side of a problem (yours) and determine who is at fault. All the armchair layers here know you should get everything for free no matter what the circumstances.