1984 Bayliner Capri Cuddy Restoration Project

michael.carnes

Recruit
Hello Everybody!

I really want a boat and I have been reading a lot on the forums about restoring boats. I am honestly intrigued to do one myself. I understand the task that are at hand but I am used to projects. I worked in a body shop for four years and have restored several vintage vehicles including modern vehicles. Actually, every vehicle I have owned, I have repainted. Okay with that said, a fellow in my area is selling a 1984 Bayliner Caprice Cuddy and trailer for $200!!! I feel like this is a good deal. I went out and took a look at the boat. It looks awful, deck is rotted out big time. Stringers, I am pretty sure are rotted out as well. Transom, I have not tested but I am pretty sure is shot as well. I am assuming this will make for an easy demo job :D The transom is for an outboard motor which no motor comes with the boat. I will have to purchase a new motor later :confused: There is no throttle cable and I believe there is no gas tank as well. The only instrument I see that was ever installed is the speedometer, steering wheel, with steering cable. Oh, there is no swim deck of ladder on the back. I have some pictures that I took with my phone.

I plan on keeping this boat in the family for a LONG TIME, so I want to do everything right! To start, I have several questions and would like some peoples opinions.

1) Is this a good boat to start off with?
2) Is this worth it? Since, so many components are missing already?
3) Would I be better off buying an older model used boat ready for the water and possibly having to redo the floor anyways?
4) What do you believe would be the average cost of restoring a boat like this one?

Thanks for the replies in advance!

photo (6).jpg

photo (8).jpg

photo (4).jpg

photo (7).jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1984 Bayliner Capri Cuddy Restoration Project

Hello and welcome, michael.carnes...

You are correct in assuming that this is a going to be a complete restore from the get go...

You must understand that this will be a labor of love, sweat, blood and quite a bit of money...

Not counting the cost of a good, reliable, engine...you are probably looking to spend 3-5 thousand dollars on the materials necessary to restore the boat...

That does not always take into account whether or not you need any tools, all the wiring, safety equipment, upholstery, trailer repairs/maintenance, etc. etc...

Forget trying to figure the hours involved...suffice it to say that most of your free time for the foreseeable future will be pretty much dedicated to the boat...

Is it worth it, only you can make that decision...

However, if you decide you want to go down this road, you can be sure that you are in the right place to get all the information and guidance you will need to do it right.

Best Regards,
GT1M

1lrover1

Cadet

You came to the right place. Doing an 84 myself I/O though (Mr.Crabs thread). I will say the folks here are very helpful and it can be done. But I restore cars as well and unlike cars, you will never get a return on your time or cost associated with restoring it. Still rewarding though and if you take the plunge, I would be glad to share my 'lessons learned' so far. Good luck!

michael.carnes

Recruit

Thank you both for your input. I am currently looking for a shop that I will be able to do most of the work in. My carport is not going to cut it. I don't think my neighbors would enjoy the fiberglass dust and noises :roll eyes: I am going to buy the boat for $200 and keep the trailer and look for a boat that is a little bit better condition and comes with a motor. Maybe, hopefully, I can get a better deal if I already have the trailer :D

Ill keep everybody updated. As for now, I am on vacation. I am rolling through Tennessee this week and maybe can find a good deal on craigslist.