Where can I get a new plastic sides for a canvas top

brewern

Cadet
The canvas top is in pretty good condition, but the plastic on the sides and back are missing.
We have a 1980 Rinkerbuilt. Here's some pics if that helps:

DSCN5504.JPGDSCN5501.JPGDSCN5502.JPGDSCN5503.JPG

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Where can I get a new plastic sides for a canvas top

with a boat that old, your looking at your local canvas shop to make you some - assuming your talking the clear plastic side curtains

brewern

Cadet

Bob, I don't want to install a Bimini top though. The top is in good condition, I just need the plastic sides.

with a boat that old, your looking at your local canvas shop to make you some - assuming your talking the clear plastic side curtains

I'm thinking about just making them myself, but I'm not sure what the originals looked like. Anyone know the model of my boat, or where I can find a picture of everything zipped up? Is the back plastic supposed to go to the floor, or just to the bottom of the canvas?
What is the name of that type of top?
Does anyone know if there are patterns of these tops online?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Go to a local awning shop and they can custom make the clear plastic sides with zippers. They must have the boat to do the matching. I thought you needed the plastic parts that the bimini mounts with.

Bondo

Staff member

Bob, I don't want to install a Bimini top though. The top is in good condition, I just need the plastic sides.

I'm thinking about just making them myself, but I'm not sure what the originals looked like. Anyone know the model of my boat, or where I can find a picture of everything zipped up? Is the back plastic supposed to go to the floor, or just to the bottom of the canvas?
What is the name of that type of top?
Does anyone know if there are patterns of these tops online?

Ayuh,.... Originally, I'd imagine it went to the edge of the cockpit to keep out rain water at the dock,...

more canvas than window...

brewern

Cadet

Go to a local awning shop and they can custom make the clear plastic sides with zippers. They must have the boat to do the matching. I thought you needed the plastic parts that the bimini mounts with.

It's confirmed guys. I found a tag on my cover that showed it was originally made by "Great Lakes Boat Top". I found their website and contacted them via email. Here's the response:

"I am sorry but we do not have any patterns older than 1993. You will need to contact a local custom canvas shop in your area. If you need help locating one please let us know."

+1 for Bob!

I also emailed Rinker and asked about the Model # and if replacement parts were available. I was passed from customer servise to the parts department and then onto one of the Rinker's. :)

"Hello Neil. This would be a 17V. LOA is 17’ 3”, Beam 86” and dry weight is 1800 lbs. Fuel capacity is 18 gal., persons capacity is 7. Sorry we have no pictures of this new or in any brochures. The boat looks like it is in pretty good shape.

Randy Rinker"

How's that for customer service?

So, I think I'm gonig to try and tackle this project at home. I have access to my mom's all metal old sewing machine, and after I practice some, I'll dive in head first! I'll post pictures here when the time comes.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

sewing the really expensive plastic is not something that one "dives head first" in with an old sewing machine. it will cost you more in doing it that way then calling your local canvas guy who can probably have it done by Friday.

brewern

Cadet

sewing the really expensive plastic is not something that one "dives head first" in with an old sewing machine. it will cost you more in doing it that way then calling your local canvas guy who can probably have it done by Friday.

But that takes the fun out of the restoration! I've never pulled a motor out of a boat, but I plan on doing that this winter too. I've never built a boat cradle, sand blasted/navel jellied, repainted and rebunked a trailer before... but I plan on doing that this winter too. I've never yanked out carpet, used MEK (I know, get a respirator), laid down Durabak, made snap in carpet patterns, redone the wiring, taken off a lower unit, etc. But I plan to do a lot of that this winter.

I really want to learn new skills, and reupholstering is one of those skills. I have a friend that recently worked with this same material and did a great job. I'll have him, and my mom coaching me and I don't care if it takes me all winter to figure it out. I'll practice on scrap material until I'm confident I can make the real thing, and then I'll go for it.

"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it."

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I have no problem playing with vinyl and reupholstering. however making side curtains with really expensive optically clear plastic is one of those things that I have looked at doing, then realized is cheaper and quicker to have them do it. sort of like machining a block. I could do it with a few hundred thousand dollars worth of equipment and tooling, however its cheaper and faster for me to have that done.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I have no problem playing with vinyl and reupholstering. however making side curtains with really expensive optically clear plastic is one of those things that I have looked at doing, then realized is cheaper and quicker to have them do it. sort of like machining a block. I could do it with a few hundred thousand dollars worth of equipment and tooling, however its cheaper and faster for me to have that done.

Yea .. but after seeing a canvas shop install isinglass to a pattern ... its so EZ ( just have to have the tools etc. ).

Its basic sewing with a bigger machine ;) .. ( Dont Discount on your Thread .. get Waxed I think it is ).

I have no problem with peeps learning from there mistakes .. come back around and Know after that ;) .

YD.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I do have to admire the OPs optomism & enthusiasm. He must be a much younger man than I ...

Being in the canvas & cushion business and having owned my own shop for 9yrs now lemme tell ya nothing is EZ. Clear vinyl curtains/enclosures are one of the toughest things to do correctly. One wrinkle & they look like crap.

My Mom has a sewing machine too but she doesn't do canvas, we agreed it'd be a conflict of interest ...

brewern

Cadet

I do have to admire the OPs optomism & enthusiasm. He must be a much younger man than I ...

Being in the canvas & cushion business and having owned my own shop for 9yrs now lemme tell ya nothing is EZ. Clear vinyl curtains/enclosures are one of the toughest things to do correctly. One wrinkle & they look like crap.

My Mom has a sewing machine too but she doesn't do canvas, we agreed it'd be a conflict of interest ...

Thanks V153. :)
I'm 40, and program computers for a living. Because of that, I've made a career out of solving problems and find most things pretty simple once I set my mind to it.
But Scott D. does make a point about the machining of a block. I need to weigh what I can do with what I should let the pros do.

I guess this is a good project to pass off to the pros.
V153, can you tell me an approximate cost I can expect if I pass this off to the pros?

Thanks!
Neil

SeaPro180

Banned

I also emailed Rinker and asked about the Model # and if replacement parts were available. I was passed from customer servise to the parts department and then onto one of the Rinker's. :)

"Hello Neil. This would be a 17V. LOA is 17? 3?, Beam 86? and dry weight is 1800 lbs. Fuel capacity is 18 gal., persons capacity is 7. Sorry we have no pictures of this new or in any brochures. The boat looks like it is in pretty good shape.

Randy Rinker"

How's that for customer service?.

Unfortunately, Rinker didn't have a web -site until 2000, so I am unable to find photos of the 1993 17V ...
Here's their 1st web-site: http://web.archive.org/web/20000302042232/http://www.rinkerboats.com/catalog/index.htm

Local canvas shop - 30ga clear vinyl (or 40ga - or Strataglass for 50% more - but probably not worth the price increase IMO).

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thanks V153. :)
I'm 40, and program computers for a living. Because of that, I've made a career out of solving problems and find most things pretty simple once I set my mind to it.
But Scott D. does make a point about the machining of a block. I need to weigh what I can do with what I should let the pros do.

I guess this is a good project to pass off to the pros.
V153, can you tell me an approximate cost I can expect if I pass this off to the pros?

Thanks!
Neil

Pros .. hmm.. 2 days .. 16 hours .. hundred bucks an hour .. + materials.

Too much...

$1500 lowball is my guess .. LOWBALL ..

YD.

brewern

Cadet

Pros .. hmm.. 2 days .. 16 hours .. hundred bucks an hour .. + materials.

Too much...

$1500 lowball is my guess .. LOWBALL ..

YD.

So, I've decided I really like the boat without the clear plastic sides. It really lets the wind blow through nicely!

The boat itself cost me $1500, I can't justify or afford $1500 more for some zip in windows! Wow!
Thanks YD.