Replacing Bilge Pump

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX with 3.0 Merc. The bilge pump as broken, does anyone know how I would go about replacing it. It is directly under the motor. It really tight, not sure if I can reach under there. I can believe that the engine would have to come out to get to it. Please feel free to post any ideas.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Replacing Bilge Pump

Find someone really flexible with long arms. There is no good answer.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This happens all the time, and besides taking spdracr's advice, the next best thing I would tell you is that the old pump does not neccessarily have to be removed in order to put in a new pump... As long as you have room to mount an additional one, disconnect the old bilge line at the thru-hull fitting, attach a new line to new pump, and place new pump in bilge as best you can. That may not be what you want to hear, but it beats removing the engine just to get a busted bilge pump out of the way.

djspady

Cadet

I have 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX with 3.0 Merc. The bilge pump as broken, does anyone know how I would go about replacing it. It is directly under the motor. It really tight, not sure if I can reach under there. I can believe that the engine would have to come out to get to it. Please feel free to post any ideas.

I had the same issue with my Cobalt, but it was mounted on a slide shelf that allowed you to pull it clear of the motor. Worked slick. Suggest you mount your new pump that way.

bekosh

Lieutenant

Find someone really flexible with long arms. There is no good answer.
Call the local jobs agency and ask if they have any contortionist midget marine mechanics for hire.;)

This happens all the time, and besides taking spdracr's advice, the next best thing I would tell you is that the old pump does not neccessarily have to be removed in order to put in a new pump... As long as you have room to mount an additional one, disconnect the old bilge line at the thru-hull fitting, attach a new line to new pump, and place new pump in bilge as best you can. That may not be what you want to hear, but it beats removing the engine just to get a busted bilge pump out of the way.
This is really your best bet. I had to do it on my last boat.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard, 'n Welcome to the world of Boat Fixin'....

Ya think it's hard reachin' in there,... wait'll ya gotta turn yer screwdriver...

Generally speakin',... Ya start removin' pieces of Boat, til ya Can reach it, 'n work on it....

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are you sure its broken? Have you ruled out other variables such as a failed float switch, blown fuse/raised circuit breaker, or a failed switch?

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you sure its broken? Have you ruled out other variables such as a failed float switch, blown fuse/raised circuit breaker, or a failed switch?
When I turn it on it does power ans sound wierd but does not pump water. Took a look last night with a mirror and flashlight. It seem the top popped off. Now I did not get a chance to try to reach it, so I don' know if the tabs are broken or not. I'm thinking they are otherwise how would it have popped off. I will keep you posted as to what I find. Maybe I can get another one with the same base and top, and snap it in place. I doubt I will find a new one, thats th same since this is 11 years old.

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got back out there to take a look at it and I have Rule-Mate 1100 gph pump (see picture attached). Well the read part came off the white part. Looks like it was just glued on. So I think I can pop the white part off the Blue base and glue it back together. Noe challange of getting to it. Its just out of my reach so I may be able to press the tabs with a screwdriver so I can get it to a point were I can glue it. Whats really in he way is the starter. Anyone have any ideas on an epoxy otr glue that would hold up? I'm thinking JB weld.

Attachments

• bilgepump.jpg
    bilgepump.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 0

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

don't risk your boat with a cobbled together broken pump. Abandon it and put one where it makes sense. I call that a design defect.