Stuck trying to take gimbal ring out

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1975 MR-1 (prealpha) and I am trying to remove the gimbal ring. The splined steering connection is holding me up and I can't figure out how to remove it. Any advise or guides you guys can come up with? Hoping to get the repairs done by Saturday.IMG_0542.jpgIMG_0543.jpgIMG_0545.jpg

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stuck trying to take gimbal ring out

If I need to provide any more information please say so.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have the nut off the top of the shaft?

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

For this model there is no nut at the top. There is a bolt that clamps the steering arm onto the spindle at the top, but that is off.

Last edited:

Don S

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 0

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is a picture of the next model mercruiser came out with starting in 1975 and ran though 1983 when alpha 1 came out. I'm looking for the 1964-1975 model.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have tried to feel the nut in case there was one there, but I can't feel anything there. Including a picture of my replacement parts. IMG_0546.jpg As you can see, no thread for a nut on the replacement spindle.

Don S

Look at item 28. This is for 70 to 77 120/140 drives. Have no clue what yours is, except 75.

Untitled4.jpg

Don S

You was posting while I was typing. If you can't feel it, then you may not have one. That means it's stuck.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

188hp v8 mercruiser-ford 302 if that helps at all

Don S

There are two shaft listed for the 888, one with the gimbal trim sender (has the nut on top) and one without the gimbal trim sender (no top nut)
Can't see yours, so can't tell which you have.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Look at the replacement upper pin you have lying on the living room floor. Is there a threaded hole in the bottom of the pin end that goes through the gimbal ring? If so, I know on some of the newer models, that hole was used to thread a slide hammer into and pop out the pin. Maybe that would work for you?

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Without the gimbal trim sensor I believe. I'll try 84EdH's idea because there is a threaded hole in the bottom, but it looks to be an expander by using an Allen wrench. The expander is the only thing I haven't removed because I don't have an individual Allen wrench that fits, just one on a set i can't fit with the bellows in the way.

I do have a trim gauge on the boat, but I know that is off the piston location or hydraulic pressure, not the angle of the lower unit.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

does the splined shaft have a threaded hole up the centre of it so a correct fitting screw can be wound up and for it to be extracted by pulling with a reversible hammer towards the bellows???????
if not you maybe able to run a tap up without breaking it.
from the look of it the transom plate looks as if its had silicon around its edge so may be worth taking that off too to seal properly and to check the transom for rot as your nearly there already.
my 74 bayliner mutiny is exactly the same but i just needed to rewire the limit switch

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

My dad had sealed the transom plate up with silicon about 20 years ago when he was on vacation and it started leaking. No issues since, so I think it has held good. I've looked at the transom from the inside and it doesn't appear to have rotted. I'm going to lowes today to see if I can find something that will thread into the new spline that I got, so hopefully it will thread into the old one too.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am headed out to the garage right now to try a couple things. That does sound like what I need, but when I took the new part to lowes, it looks to be 1/2-20 thread not 1/4-20. I'm goign to see if i can pull the expander out first with an allen wrench that will fit that i just got.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the bottom adjuster screw out and that really loosed up the gimbal ring, but it still isn't removable and I can't get the upper swivel/steering shaft out yet. It appears it is just stuck really good to the steering arm. I have hit it up with pb blaster the best I can and just going to let it soak over night.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking, couldn't I just cut the old gimbal ring in 2? The bottom piece should just fall away, then the top half could come down off the top ring, hit the top half down with a hammer if needed, and then grab and pull the old shaft out?

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

whats wrong with the original one or are you having trouble finding a screw to extract the pin.time and patience may be the better way forward unless a speedy fix is req'd.as the ^^^^^^^ link shows an extractor will be required also to make things simple which you may be able to hire.acess to a m/c shop is also good if you know anyone in that line of work too.