just got a 1972 supersport 16. engine question, transom, etc...etc...

Abe Froman

Cadet
I just picked up a '72 supersport 16 from my nephew who has owed it to me for years. he's in tennessee and I'm in new orleans. he says that the boat isnt good for shallow water fishing like he does in tenn. I've got a 24 foot pontoon boat with a great running yamaha 115 on it. My wife says she doesnt like the pontoon boat and likes the starcraft because thats the type of boat she remembers fishing out of with her dad when she was a kid. Come to find out that this boat has been in her family since it was bought new in 1972 !! her uncle owned it, then her father owned it, then he gave it to his grandson (my nephew), and now I own it !!! father in law replaced the deck and did some other work to it, but that was eight years ago.

The transom is rotten and needs to be replaced. I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with because the motor that is on it is a very old evinrude 40.

I plan to use my yamaha 115 off of my pontoon boat and sell the pontoon & trailer to a friend of mine.

So, whatever I use to rebuild the transom with has gotta be super strong. I'd also like it to be light as well. I'm also going to add several supports from the deck / keel to the transom. I'm a structural engineer, so I'm good at that kinda stuff. I can custom fabricate whatever I need and I'm pretty good with a Mig welder.

Anyway - does anyone have any comments about me putting a 115 on this boat ? At one point this boat had twin evinrude 40's on it. I think the boat is rated for a 85 hp motor max. However, I cant find the ID plate anywhere. where is it supposed to be? I've looked all over for it.

anyway - should be a fun project.

photo2.jpg

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: just got a 1972 supersport 16. engine question, transom, etc...etc...

Welcome. I have a '75 and my plate is mounted on the gunwale at the helm. You can find all the info you want about the '72 SS in the sticky brochure at the top of the Starcraft forum. I think it was page 13 under 1972. It is rated for 85hp. That is what I have on my boat and I want no more power with two people in the boat we can top out about 40 mph.

Abe Froman

Cadet

well, I dont plan on running it wide open or anything, it's just that I already have the 115 and dont really wanna spend any money on it. I can drive it conservatively with the 115.

barato2

Commander

i might consider selling the 115 and getting a motor more suited to the hull. unless the 115 is same # of cyl's as a 75/85hp (pretty sure it has more), the 115 will make your boat tail heavy. if you do use it, get some trim tabs and install the fuel tank toward bow.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd run the 115. A certain moderator on here has a V4 larger than a 90 ;) on his 16'.

InMotion

Commander

I'd run the 115. A certain moderator on here has a V4 larger than a 90 ;) on his 16'.

Tank in the front will have the boat on plane really quite flat. Welcome!

64osby

Admiral

Nice boat. It's great to see you save some family history and make the Admiral happy at the same time.

Welcome to iboats:)