115 hp evinrude lower unit repair?

jennis

Recruit
I have an '82 115 evinrude that has begin to jump out of gear in forward. It has progresively gotten worse. At first, it would only do it every 5-7 minutes, now so bad I can only idle and it will still do it every 1-2 minutes. A local mechanic said that a shift linkage out of a adjustment probably caused it but the damage done is probably bad enough that it will need a dog gear. My question is how difficult of a job is this and how many special tools will it take? i.e. bearing carrier puller, etc. Also, any idea what the going rate for parts and labor for a shop to do this is? I hate to put too much $ in the old thing.

Big Rod

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 115 hp evinrude lower unit repair?

Jennis, Depending on your areas labor rate,its about a $500.00 job and is a precision task. The 115 is a good engine. Let the internal/external condition of the powerhead determine the economics of repair...

jennis

Recruit
Re: 115 hp evinrude lower unit repair?

Thanks for the input Big Rod.<br />I was able to find a used lower unit that had a banged up case but the internals were still good. I took my lower unit off along with the used one and the local mechanic took the two and made one. He only charged me $115 for labor. He said that without the used parts then I would have been looking at about $600. Very close to what you said. I do have some extra parts if anyone needs a trim unit, drive shaft, or prop shaft. Email me at jennis@acxiom.com. Thanks again.