stuck choke? hook up 12v directly?

dkellogg3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So... out on the lake sunday, beached at an island, storms started to look like they were rolling in so we decided to head home. Went to start her up and all she'd do was crank and crank and crank... checked newly installed edelbrock 1409. And find that the choke was completely closed. Tried to swing it open to see if i was getting gas, and couldn't budge it... felt like it was.stuck. so to get home before the worst of the storm i just disconnected the linkage and she fired ip pretty quickly. Now it time to figure out what's going on. Is it okay to hook up the choke directly to the battery to check its operation?

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: stuck choke? hook up 12v directly?

Yep. Use a fused wire to prevent fire potential

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a question- did you pump the throttle when trying to start? If the choke housing cooled, and you pumped the throttle before energizing the choke coil, then it could have "set" the choke. Opening the throttle slightly should have allowed you to move the choke plate. If it was "set" and throttle was still closed then plate would not want to move.

dkellogg3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, pumped the throttle and set the choke. Then left it at part throttle when I was checking the choke. Had my wife move the throttle lever around to see if it made any difference.... it didn't.

What amp fuse?

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would say a 15 should be good. Make sure the negative (ground)circut of the carb and choke body is good. Or it will not mean anything

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Tried to swing it open to see if i was getting gas, and couldn't budge it... felt like it was.stuck.

That's not normal. Even with the choke closed and carb cool you should be able to physically open the choke plate. Time to start checking the various linkages, etc for binding.

dkellogg3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, Fish, that's what I figured, so instead of spending valuable time with the storms rolling in I just disconnected it and made the run for home.

Just sucks you know... with a brand new carb and all.

dkellogg3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FYI, found that the choke was literally just stuck. Pushed a little bit on the connector rod and it popped free with a click. felt like maybe the rod was bound up within the hole it connects to.