Merc help needed (just don't know)

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am trying to get spark to a 1996 Merc 150 v6 2 stroke, has carbs, 2 switch boxes (p packs?) & 6 coils. the CDI web trouble shooter says if no spark unhook blk/yellow wire or orange wire at the switch boxes and re-test, trouble is there is no wires coming from the boxes of either color? Maybe I just don't know what the switch boxes are but I thought they were the black boxes one mounted atop the engine & one on the side, The wires coming from these boxes are blue, blue/white and tan. I work on OMC stuff often, but just don't know Merc's not many in my area, could those in the know set me straight.

thanks' kb

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Merc help needed (just don't know)

do not if CDI has a wiring sys. but maxrules.com has a great wiring sys shows wiring color and where it go too.it may help

jtro

Cadet

Switchboxes are on the right side of the motor and stacked on top of each other with wires coming from the top of the boxes which has the black and yellow wire and wires coming out the side also. All wires are attached with nuts.

kodibass

Thanks, this will help now I should be able to do the test, I will check maxrules also need all the help I can get.

Dukedog

Captain

Looking at tha switch boxes right below tha starter solinoid. From left to right, top row of nuts there will be a White/Black wire far left. Next will be a Black/Yellow. Next a Blue or Blue /white. Next a Red or Red/White. The Black/Yellow is the "kill" circuit on both boxes. You can disconnect it from "both boxes" and check for fire. Something that is missed by tha best of folks when you have a no fire condition is checking tha kill switch (lanyard pulled) on tha control box and/or that general area......

kodibass

Dukedog I did as you said found the black yellow wires and un-bolted the one on the outside and just cut the underneath one, & I now have spark, So I think the problem is as you say in the kill switch, This is a friends boat it has no lanyards but a key switch and a button below the key that says push to stop engine? so something is amiss but I should be able to rig it up, & then I'll splice & bolt the blk/yellow wires back up and give her a test start. Thank you!