4.3L V6 Water Shutter Replacement

michmatt

Recruit
Can someone let me know what the 4.3L V6 Water Shutter should look like? I've had problems with water ingestion, the most recent filling a cylinder. I pulled the exhaust to check and see if the shutters were gone. Both sides appear in place, but there is no rubber gasket or seal. There is a metal shutter with holes around the perimeter - is this correct, or do I need to replace the shutters? I have a 1991 4.3L V6 Alpha One engine and per the manual the shutter part number is 14348A-1. Any ideas where to get a replacement?
IMG_0333.JPG
Thank you.

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 4.3L V6 Water Shutter Replacement

Hey Mich, I'm seeing just the metal core of the shutter there. All the sealing rubber is gone. I would think any marine parts place could get them for you. Good luck.

sharkin95

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there is one for sale on Ebay auction #290745750280

dkellogg3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you have to take the exhaust manifolds off to get to them, or just disconnect the rubber dresser coupling?

Thanks~

michmatt

Recruit

Did you have to take the exhaust manifolds off to get to them, or just disconnect the rubber dresser coupling?

Thanks~

HI - I didn't have to disconnect the manifolds. I pushed the lower coupling down onto the Y-pipe and then pulled the upper coupling and 90-deg elbow off the manifiold as one piece. I had to use some automotive silicone spray and work around each coupling with a screwdriver to loosen them. It wasn't easy to get them loose, but once they were free it wasn't too bad to get apart.

michmatt

Recruit

Hey Mich, I'm seeing just the metal core of the shutter there. All the sealing rubber is gone. I would think any marine parts place could get them for you. Good luck.

Thanks - I was able to get replacements off the shelf at a local marina. It's back together and will be on the water today - I'm hoping that fixed the problem.

dkellogg3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Mich... good disassembly info!

NHGuy

Captain

After the flappers are replaced if you still get ingestion check the risers and manifolds. If the parts aren't bad you can get water in the cylinders while the motor is off if the manifold to riser seal is poor. Happened to me this year. So if you get hydro lock check the gaskets. Or better yet, just put some nice fresh graphite coated gaskets in there and torque em to 30 foot lbs. Make sure the sealing surfaces are good and flat too.