dead volvo DP-D1

bfoker

Recruit
I have a DP-D1 that "somehow" (see below about the 6k spent last year...may have been man made/crappy mechanic disaster) blew a lower seal, slowly leaked out all the gear lube, and well the rest is a pile of metal shavings.
New ones are 10k. Not happening right now.
Through 'research' I have found that the updated version of this drive was the DP-E.
It has been an impossible nightmare to find a remanufactured outdrive, which I would be more than happy to buy at this point.
So now, providing my intermediate checks out 'ok', I'm considering a "new" upper gear box and "new" lower unit. Doing this will more than likely be about the price of a good remanufactured one as I figure, and yes I realize that "for a few thousand dollars more..." I could have a brand new drive. Unfortunately those few thousand dollars are a bit tight right now as I just had spent over 6k on the same freakin drive last year (new upper because U-joint blew all to hell inside bellows and interior intermediate/bell housing). I am hooked up to a big block via a jackshaft at 1.78:1 ratio.

Which leads me to my questions>>> Having that model, are the upper gear boxes mostly interchangable for the DP drives (obviously not including the later OMC models and high speed ones) more like the DP-S's, DP-C's etc... or any AQ types?
And, on the same note, what lower units would I be able to bolt on to my intermediate bearing housing etc.?
I ask this because finding reconditioned uppers and lowers for this particular DP model is just about as difficult as finding the whole damn drive.

Thanks guys