Bravo! drive removal

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyione have a procedure for removing and then installing a Bravo 1 drive? I have my manuals in the boat and its all covered up right now...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bravo! drive removal

remove the speedo tube, remove the trim ram pin then the 6 nuts that hold the drive to the bell housing and slip it off. pay attention to the shift cable and make sure it disengages the slide and dont bend it.<br /> if ya forget the speedo tube at least the replacement is cheap, I forget 1 or 2 each year :)

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rodbolt thanks, it seems pretty straight forward... So I dont need to shift the throttle into forward as an alpha removal? HM.. mercstuff.com has nothing about B1 removal that I see.. thanks anyways

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don, thanks I've searched the internet up and down and have not been able to locate this kind of information.. Excellent, as always...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wonder if DonS ever snapped off a speedo fitting :) :)

Bondo

Staff member

Naw,.......... No Way............... :D :D

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the link to the manuals. Printers here ta work were very busy this morning. Hard to imagine why Merc allows them to be just given away like that. As someoone who has to write technical manuals now and then for a living (and I should be writing one right now), I understand the amount of work it takes to put together such a comprehensive book. <br /><br />Stoopid question: The "Sterndrive Unit Removal" chapter of the BRavo Manual seems very easy to follow but I'm curious about the connection between the stern drive oil reservoir and the drive itself. Is it assumed that the oil has been drained before the drive comes off? If not, what keeps the oil from leaking out of the reservoir with the drive off?<br /><br />I'll be pulling my drive off in a week or two and will drain the oil first regardless; I'm just curious... I forgot to look when I last pulled a drive, the Alpha on my old boat.

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh - excellent question.. I didn't even think of that, but did not see it in the manual as something that needed to be dealt with... Does it have to be drained?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> wonder if DonS ever snapped off a speedo fitting :) :)
Not this year :D <br /><br />On the reservoir line, there is a quick disconnect fitting between the drive and the bellhousing that prevents the oil from draining out of either the drive or the reservoir.

hudman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when I click on that link, i Only get 14 pages of tables of contents- am I doing something wrong?<br />thaks

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by hudman:<br /> when I click on that link, i Only get 14 pages of tables of contents- am I doing something wrong?<br />thaks
Click on the chapter headings in the TOC. They are links to the chapters.

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

there is a quick disconnect fitting between the drive and the bellhousing
Interesting, the Bravo manual doen't show anything that I can find about that connector, is it accessable externally prior to slitting the drive off the gimbal, or only after separation like the shift cable?

Don S

Look at pages 4B-37 and 4B-38.

Don S

Hudman<br />If you move your cursor that looks like this,
Adobe%20hand.png
over the index page, when you get to a link for the different sections, the cursor will change to a finger like this
Adobe%20finger.png
just click that new link and another section will open.<br /><br />Mischief Managed<br />If you have Adobe Acrobat reader version 5.0 or newer, it has a save function that you can just save a copy of each section to your computer. Not necessary to print it all out. Then if you want to print a page, you can choose which page you want and print it.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Don S:<br /> Hudman<br />If you move your cursor that looks like this,
Adobe%20hand.png
over the index page, when you get to a link for the different sections, the cursor will change to a finger like this
Adobe%20finger.png
just click that new link and another section will open.<br /><br />Mischief Managed<br />If you have Adobe Acrobat reader version 5.0 or newer, it has a save function that you can just save a copy of each section to your computer. Not necessary to print it all out. Then if you want to print a page, you can choose which page you want and print it.
Thanks. I did know that, I just like paper and have two nice, big, fat, loose leaf binders stuffed full of manuals 11 and 17 now...

hudman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Don, can you help me on my term paper?