Short stroke trim tabs?

kmwoods

Cadet
This is my first post so I hope I have this in the right place. I ordered some Trim Tabs SX and was going to install them on my boat. When I started looking closer I saw that I only have about 6 inches of vertical surface which then turns into a roll toward the back of the boat toward a short swim platform. I contacted Nauticus and they said they do not have anything that would work. Do any of you know what solution I could use? I would like to get something with the least amount of customization/installation...which is why I was going with Trim Tabs SX. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Short stroke trim tabs?

what kind of boat? year, make, model, pictures

kmwoods

Cadet

Hi Scott, thanks for replying. It is a 1989 Wellcraft 187. I don't have a detailed picture of the rear but I do have one from farther back here with me. If you could imagein from the lower edge of the transom to where it starts to curve back towards the swim platform it is about 6 inches vertical. From the instructions on the trim tabs, all connections points need to be on the same vertical plane. I only have 6 inches with which to work unless I attached the upper end to the curving horizontal plane.

Attachments

• 1989Wellcraft187Rear.jpg
    1989Wellcraft187Rear.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0

kmwoods

Cadet

OK, guess I'll just wait for Nauticus to get back with me on this.

UncleWillie

Captain

Nauticus already got back to you. They said "No Options!"
You could mount the gas struts to the underside of the overhang.
You will only be able to use hole #5, The most rear hole.
Using any of the inside holes will break the strut when it retracts.
The 60lb struts should be about right for your situation.
Nauticus will exchange struts on request.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most/all of the Tahoe brand boats have a similar issue with regards to Smart Tabs - many many people have them installed successfully. Nauticus actually has a special adapter to prevent binding where actuator meets tab (which is the problem faced with this type of install). I do not know why 50% of the time nauticus says "no prob, well send ya a free special adapter to prevent coupler binding..." and the other half says "sorry, cant use it" --- they have great service but i don't understand the their responses - since it has clearly been done.

Review installs on Q5, Q6, Q7 tahoes in the Tahoe section at the bottom of forum. their rear end is about as bad as it gets for them.

Curious has anyone thought about adding a sheet of 1/2" or 1" starbooard ('shim' like) to get the two attachment points closer to the same plane?

note: my only smart tab experience is via reading many posts, videos, etc..... hope to get them in the next year or so.

Last edited:

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

From the instructions on the trim tabs, all connections points need to be on the same vertical plane. I only have 6 inches with which to work unless I attached the upper end to the curving horizontal plane.

Depending on the application, some users have installed smart tabs on different planes when it was neccessary. The same-plane requirement was specifically a smart tabs SX thing, due to some binding with the actuator and the composite hardware used. As far as I know, the stainless versions of smart tabs can be installed on different planes as long as there is enough room for all the components and the geometry still allows them to work properly. Where did you measure the 6" of transom space at? It looks like you have considerably more real estate then that closer in towards the drive. Mounting tabs here is not ideal, but they will still be beneficial as opposed to not mounting them at all. Of course, you must measure the drive at its right and left limit to make sure you have enough clearance.

If the ST smart tabs are not an option, hydraulic tabs could certainly work in that space, mounted to the underside of the swim platform extension.

nlain

Commander

Here is how I had to mount mine on my SeaRay, mine are the Stainless steel version, they now have an extra hole that you can move the tab bracket to the rear of the tab for more clearance. My tabs did not have the extra hole but they work fine so I have not tried to drill the extra hole and remount the upper actuator bracket. If you could move the bracket back it may give you the clearance you need and with different ends on the actuators you may be able to mount the SX tabs. Just some info for thought.

2005_1016Image0015.jpg

2005_1016Image0016.jpg

Maclin

Admiral

I think you do have to go Stainless steel instead of composite for an app like that. Maybe that is what Nauticus tech said? No options if you want to use their SX tabs, have to go with the legacy Stainless tabs. Maybe.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you can even put Bennetts under there

Here is a pic of Bennetts on my 190 SeaRay

get the M120 sport tabs, and have the actuators swapped for the short actuator.

kmwoods

Cadet

Hahaha. I talked to them about it yesterday afternoon. The steel ones are the only ones I can use. From what I'd read you should have both attachment points to the same plane. So I will return the SX version and get the steel version and should be fine. I appreciate all the good comments here. Great forum!
Nauticus already got back to you. They said "No Options!"
You could mount the gas struts to the underside of the overhang.
You will only be able to use hole #5, The most rear hole.
Using any of the inside holes will break the strut when it retracts.
The 60lb struts should be about right for your situation.
Nauticus will exchange struts on request.