Sea Star hydraulic steering leak

I finally got my engined fixed and I'm cruising around loving life.. then my boat stops turning. I had to turn the wheel many times over what it usually takes to get the boat to turn a bit. I put it on the hoist and looked under the helm and I see there is a leak where the hose connects to the "C2" slot. The connection is tight. The oil is definitly low and the steering wheel makes a clicking noise when I turn it.

I have a big boat trip coming up. Any idea what I need to do to fix the leak? Also.. do I need to bleed this out or could I maybe just try and top it off?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Sea Star hydraulic steering leak

I finally got my engined fixed and I'm cruising around loving life.. then my boat stops turning. I had to turn the wheel many times over what it usually takes to get the boat to turn a bit. I put it on the hoist and looked under the helm and I see there is a leak where the hose connects to the "C2" slot. The connection is tight. The oil is definitly low and the steering wheel makes a clicking noise when I turn it.

I have a big boat trip coming up. Any idea what I need to do to fix the leak? Also.. do I need to bleed this out or could I maybe just try and top it off?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Take it apart, 'n See why it's leakin'....

Replace or repair what's leakin'...

Then fill the resv. 'n you may, or may not need to bleed the system...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sea Star hydraulic steering leak

First, you have to fix the leak. Otherwise you are going to loose steering again and again. The clicking sound is air in the pump. The helm unit is nothing more than a hydraulic pump.
After the repair, you will have to bleed it. No doubt about that at all. you also need to use the SeaStar oil, if you try to use ATF, the steering will get harder to turn.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/suppo...draulic-installation-manuals-filling-purging/