Gimbel Bearing Replacement

michaelbluewolf

Seaman Apprentice
Hello to all and thanks for looking,
I am wondering how hard it is to replace the gimbel bearing in my 1970 Sea Ray SRV 190 with the pre Alpha O/D and the Mercrusier 165 inline 6. I have the outdrive off and the bearing does have a snap-ring on the outside of the bearing. I checked with the local boat repair guys and they estimated it would cost $60.00 for the bearing and $120.00 in labor. I am curious if there are special tools needed to replace the gimbel bearing and if so maybe a couple hundred bucks is worth it.
I do have tools and access to a slide hammer. Long time Hot Rod Mechanic short time boat Mechanic.
Thanks for the imput.
Mike

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gimbel Bearing Replacement

I am not familair with your drive but if its similar to the newer ones;

Threaded pullers work best as they produce more force -- but slide hammer may do it.
eIts critical to align the grease passage of the bearing and drive in straight in on assembly.

Overall- its usually no too hard

Check out the hom meade secial tools in the adults opnly section for some options.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Gimbel Bearing Replacement

I do have tools and access to a slide hammer. Long time Hot Rod Mechanic short time boat Mechanic.

Ayuh,.... Find some BIG snap-ring pliers, 'n I'm pretty sure you can pull this off...

Don't put it back in... ;)

You'll also need an Alignment Bar,...
They're reasonable on-line, 'n yer gonna need 1, if yer gonna play "Boat" Mechanic....