115 SPL Rude starved for fuel

Bushleaguer

Seaman
Motor runs well at around 3500 to 4000 rpm. At WOT it starts to lose rpm and power. When this happens, the primer bulb completely caves in. Last season, I installed a Raycor filter/water seperator with 3/8" lines (Raycor part # S-3227, rated at 60 gph flow). I checked the tank vent, which is clear. I removed the lines to and from the filter and am able to blow air both directions and get good flow. I'm hoping that I just have a bad primer bulb that caves in in the heat- Any ideas or anything I could be forgetting?-- Thanks!!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 115 SPL Rude starved for fuel

A small air leak, bad primer bulb, partially clogged tank vent, pickup screen clogged all can reduce fuel flow. If all the pump suction side stuff are oK, fuel pump itself may need rebuild/replacing.

Bushleaguer

Seaman

Would'nt the fuel pumps ability to cave in the primer bulb indicate that the pump was strong? Just a thought.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Try leaving the Gas Cap loose or off while you run it and see if it still collapses and runs bad. If not, you still have a vent problem. If it still collapses, replace the bulb.

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you tried replacing the filter? If it is clogged or filled with water the flow rate will be reduced.

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like its time to change the water seperator, thats what mine did when it was full

Bushleaguer

Seaman

I did replace the filter cannister about 25 hours ago, and when I disconnect the ingoing line to the filter, I can blow thru the filter with ease. The sight glass at the bottom of the filter shows no water and I get pure gas thru the drain **** so I doubt a bad filter. Rickd- I'll try leaving the cap loose and see what happens. Thanks for all the help guys!

kart33

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If your fuel bulb idea doesn't work, try replacing the fuel lines. I had a flow problem when my lines started to seperate internally. Everything was fine until a high flow rate caused the inside of the line to fold back and block the opening to the bulb. Eventually a piece of the rubber line stuck there and I found it when the engine quit.

Bushleaguer

Seaman

It seems to have been the fuel primer bulb. I replaced the Tempo bulb with an OEM bulb from Evinrude and ran WOT for most of the day Saturday with no problems.<br />Thanks for the advise guys!!