What's the fuel pressure for a 1986 Johnson GT 200 ?

chacha

Cadet
I'm wanting to put an electric fuel pump on my GT 200 (model J200STLCDR). Can anyone tell what what range the pressrue and flow should be.

chacha

Cadet
Re: What's the fuel pressure for a 1986 Johnson GT 200 ?

Anyone with a ballpark idea?

I'll tell ya' but first you need to tell us what safety cutout you're going to use to turn off the fuel pump in an emergency situation. If there's some sort of upset or major engine problem you can't have the fuel pump running and you're not going to be coherent enough to think about turning off the keyswitch.

By the way, what makes you think you need a new fuel pump?

chacha

Cadet

My mechanic suggested an electric pump over using the VRO for a fuel pump. I hadn't thought about an emergency shut off....good point. I'm having trouble at WOT, it's not really opening up all the way, comes in and out. If silencer is off, it wont even get on plane. Ither than that, it starts good and runs goog til abt 2/3 throttle. Having timing checked tomorrow, compression checks good. Sort of taking a shot in tje dark on a solution...

4 stroke engines can use an oil pressure switch to disable the fuel pump when the engine's not running, 2 strokes can't use that option. At a minimum you'd want to have a fuel pump relay wired through your emergency kill switch.

If you suspect fuel pressure problems you can get a gauge from NAPA and check the pressure. It should be in the range of 3 to 5 psi. But an easier check would be to have someone pump the primer bulb, if the engine runs better with someone continually pumping the bulb that would back up the fuel delivery theory.

chacha

Cadet

Tried pumping the bulb and it didnt seen seem to make a difference....starting to think it may be an electrical issue. Coil or switch box...?