MFG Westfield

MFGoon

Recruit
I recently picked up a MFG Westfield along with an Evinrude 18hp Winfast. The motor is a '66, and I believe the boat is likely the same year. The boat has been in storage for close to 30 years. The transom is strong and the hull is in really good shape. Fiberglass gunwales and foredeck had the hardware removed and filled with bondo (yuck). I will probably be drilling out the bondo patches and filling with epoxy. Transom is dry on the inside, however, someone cut out a portion of the transom to accommodate a short shaft outboard. They had a bit of shaky hand, so I will be leveling out the cut and sealing with glass. The hull has fresh paint and I plan to put fresh paint on the deck and floor. The trailer is in great shape, and was how I justified the $500 purchase price (I am in the process of building a 16 ft Brockway Skiff, and needed a trailer anyway). I am a bit on the fence with whether I want to spend a couple weekends and get it into a safe knock-about condition, or a few months and go for a full restore, but either way I think it should be a fun time.

This weekend, I worked on the engine. Someone had taken out the internal fuel line leading to the tank-to-engine line. I am a complete newbie, and am not positive where this is supposed to hook up to. I found a exploded parts diagram for the engine but it is difficult to tell how the fuel line connects. I will also be trying to figure out where I can find a replacement nozzle hookup. Other than that, the engine appears to be in surprisingly clean shape. The controls and tiller steer were pretty gummed up when I got them, but with a bottle of WD40 and a whole lot of jiggling, I have been able to get the shifter and throttle working fairly smoothly.

Anyway, if there is any interest in this thread, I will keep a steady flow of updates and pictures going for anyone who is interested.

Thanks,

Morgan

photo (1).jpgphoto (2).jpgphoto (3).JPGphoto (4).JPGphoto.jpg