1994 Johnson 150 - Fires Up and That's it - Please Help!

fopiela

Cadet
Hello,
I have a 1994 Johnson 150. It fires up for a second or two. I found the stator burnt and replaced it. Have also replaced the power pack and still have the same thing. Have ohmed out the ignition switch and it seems to be OK. Have checked all of the grounds and connections that I could find. Has fire on all cylinders while cranking. Would appreciate any ideas!
Frank

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 1994 Johnson 150 - Fires Up and That's it - Please Help!

Disconnect the black/yellow going into the powerpack and try again.
You may even disconnect the plug (big red) between engine and harness, then take (shortly) a jumper cable between B+ on the starter relay and the small stud with red/yellow on the relay. If engine starts, you have a short in the stop circuit somewhere. A normal Ohm test may not reveal it, but when engine is running i runs 230+Volts in the black yellow that may 'jump' to ground somewhere.

PS: If engine starts with the jumper cable trick, stop it by turning the red lever on the primer solenoid!

fopiela

Cadet

Many Thanks, Will try this evening after work. Will reply with results. Thanks Again and have a Great Day! Frank

fopiela

Cadet

Many Thanks, Will try this evening after work. Will reply with results. Thanks Again and have a Great Day! Frank

OK! I tried it and same thing. It fires momentarily every time. I even disconnected the plug from the power pack and same thing it fires momentarily every time. This blows my thoughts about having to have power while the starter is engaged! The only thing not changed at Thai point is the trigger, what do you think? Also do the sensors, neutral safety, heat , and oil reservor, etc, should they be open or closed? What kills the engine grounding it or breaking the ground? I,m stuck will appreciate any suggestions!

Haffiman

Commander

Trigger?? If an OIS 60 degree looper it is no trigger, but an optical sensor which may well be the cause.

fopiela

Cadet

To Haffiman & Iboats: I just want to Thank You for the assistance on this forum. The information you gave led us to the solution on our boat motor which by the way was the Optical Sensor. I replaced the Optical Sensor and it Fired Right Up and Continue to Run. I just have to put everything back together again. Thanks Again, Frank Opiela in San Antonio, Texas.