Very Weird Trim Tabs Issue

Tagerman

Seaman
Have Boat Leveling Co. Trim Tabs (Instatrim) When I press the left switch the right tab moves, when I press the right switch the right tab moves when I use both switches at once both tabs move. WTH. I scratched my head for a solid two hours. Could this be the switch, or something weird with the pump? I'm completely lost with this one.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Re: Very Weird Trim Tabs Issue

Tagerman,

That is completely normal and how just about all Trim Tab systems operate.

The standard set up for Trim Tabs is for them to work "opposite". Most people don't even realize that their Trim Tabs are wired that way.

The switches are wired this way so that you push the switch in the direction you want the boat to respond. For example if your starboard bow is high you push the forward right hand switch. This lowers the port trim tab, lifting the port stern and lowering the starboard bow.

That is why most Trim Tab switches say BOW DOWN at the top of the switch.

So when you use them, just think about what you want the boat to do and not whet the Tabs are doing and it will soon be second nature.

Some people prefer to wire them so that the switch reflects what the Trim Tabs are doing, that is fine. But most people find it more intuitive to have them wired as yours are.

Tagerman

Seaman

well I understand that, but only the right side tab moves with either button that is operated individually.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Oops! I read that too fast, sorry! Did the Trim Tabs work before and fail? Or have they been doing this since you have had them?

You have a fault with the switch or the solenoid valves.

Here is a link to their website http://www.insta-trim.com/

I can't find any troubleshooting on their site.

The Boat Leveler system is pretty easy to troubleshoot. I put together this troubleshooting based on how the system works. If you hear the pump running but the Trim Tabs are not moving, check to see that the system is getting good power as low voltage can cause the motor to run but the valves may not open. Clean the connections and pay particular attention to both ends of the ground wire at the pump. Then do the test below.

Here is he wiring for Boat Leveler.

green=Port Valve
white= Starboard Valve
red=Motor Forward (pump pressure)
yellow= Motor Reverse (pump retract)
black on HPU=Ground
red on Helm=Control Positive

wire2.jpg

wire1.jpg

Here is how you can test it.

Remove the wires from the helm control and touch together as follows:

Operation=Reaction
(+), Red, Green=Port trim tab down
(+), Red, White=Starboard trim tab down
(+), Red, Green, White=both trim tabs down
(+), Yellow, Green=Port trim tab up
(+), Yellow, White=Starboard trim tab up
(+), Yellow, White, Green=both trim tabs up

If the trim tabs function correctly for each wire grouping then the switch is at fault. Also note that any loose or missing screws on the back of the switch (whether a wire is connected there or not) can cause the pump to malfunction.

This test may also be done right at the pump by using a hot lead. There is usually a connector to the wire harness within a foot or so of the pump. You want to check this connection for corrosion. You may wish to cut the connector off on the pump side and try the test on bare wires.

If you suspect corrosion on the wire connector near the pump, cut it out, test as above and reconnect using butt splices.

Make sure to check both ends of the black ground wire at the pump for corrosion.

Let me know what you find and I will be happy to help.

Tagerman

Seaman

Awesome thanks for your help! I'll be at the marina Tuesday and I will troubleshoot this issue using your information. I will let you know what I come up with. I'm a mechanic so I have a wonderful little electrical test tool called a power probe that will make quick work of your diagnostic suggestion.