2002 Volvo Penta won't start

paulg1958

Recruit
I have a 2002 Glastron with a 5.0GL SX Volvo Penta engine. I bought it used last hyear and it's been a great boat. Always starts and runs great. This is the 2 BBL carburetor modfel.

Last night it would not start after being idle for a few days.

Motor fires butwon't stay running. If you grind the key it will stay running but as soon as you let go of the key...it dies.

If you give it more throttle it will race momentarily and then quit.

I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the carburetor line filter...does the same thing. Fuel pump?

2003lsr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2002 Volvo Penta won't start

Paul, here are a couple things you might look at it: Based on the fact that you can keep it running by "grinding the key", it sounds as if the green alternator wire that supplies power to the fuel pump (once the key returns to run position) is not doing it's job. Make sure the alternator belt is tensioned properly. Check the green wire connection for tightness/corrosion. If that checks good, the diode in the same green wire may be faulty. Hope this helps.

nitwhit

Seaman

Also check your safety lanyard and switch.

Maclin

Admiral

If the engine dies IMMEDIATELY once the key is returned to Run/On then I tend to believe it is an electrical problem.

Could be that the ballast circuit for the coil is not behaving. The coil will get power when cranking from a circuit that bypasses the ballast circuit. Once the key is released to go back to Run/On then the coil should get power from the ballast circuit.

One part of your description fits the symptoms of the coil circuit problems...
"Motor fires but won't stay running. If you grind the key it will stay running but as soon as you let go of the key...it dies."

But this part confuses me....
"If you give it more throttle it will race momentarily and then quit."

When do you hit the throttle, while still cranking? If so could the "race momentarily" just be from momentum the engine gathered while the key was still in "Start" ? Does it spit or backfire as it rotates down to "dead"?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Turn the key to the run position, and see if you have power to the purple wire on the + terminal of the coil.

If no, check at the ignition switch on the purple wire.

paulg1958

Recruit

It was the saftey lanyard just slightly out of position! EMBARRASSING!

Back up and running....thanks all!