2007 Yamaha F150 died at slow idle and no trim power

2manytoys81

Cadet
I have only taken the boat out three times and yesterday when we slowed down and trimmed up for the shallow water it ran for about a minute and then died as if i cut the switch off. I also did not have power to the trim at the control or the motor. Guage was still reading just above 12 volts. We drifted to a dock and i looked over all the wiring that I could get to and after about 10 minutes I tried the trim and it worked so i started the engine and we proceeded. Ran down the bay about another mile or so and slowed again for the idle zone and trimmed the motor up and after idling for about 30 seconds it cut off again. I did a little mor investigation but never did find anything suspicious. We got a tow to a nearby boat ramp and after being there for 5 minutes of so the trim started working again and the motor started right up and idled fine. So instead of taking any chances I went and got the trailer and pulled it to the ramp we were at. When I got back everything was working (engine and trim) so I started it and let it run. After running for about two minutes it died again. As of now, 24 hrs later, power has not returned so whatever was going out has completely gone now.

What could be bad that would cause a power loss to the engine and components?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2007 Yamaha F150 died at slow idle and no trim power

Bad connection at any cable or wire feeding power to motor including battery connections, could be cable, wire, or fuse holder.

a good voltmeter will help find out where and were not the voltage is, which would direct you to the problem

2manytoys81

Cadet

I got the voltmeter out tonight and started checking things over. Still no power to Trim or to start the motor. After chasing wire for 30 minutes or so not finding anything suspect, the trim starts working again. So I get the water hose out and start the motor. It runs for about 30 seconds and dies. No trim power either. 15 seconds later, trim has power so I start it up again. This time it runs for about 1 minute and dies. So no real progress tonight. Everything in the fuse panel seems to be getting proper voltage.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram so I can see what gets its power from where? I'm going to try again tomorrow afternoon starting from the trim switch.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

while problem exists start checking from battery on to the motor through cables and connections to see where voltage disappears

TOdblD

Cadet

I am having the same problem did you ever figure it out?