2005 Nissan 4-stroke EP no-crank

msaunoras

Seaman Apprentice
I'll make a new thread just incase someone else has any ideas. Yesterday without warning my outboard will not crank with the key. With the lever in neutral I turn the key to on and all my gauges work normally, turn the key to start and there is a solid beep from the warning buzzer inside the rcb. If it put it into F or R and turn the key on the warning buzzer sounds and goes out when put into N (like it should).

Sometimes I could pull start it fine and other times it was locked up. I found the starter lock cable is slightly out of adjustment and pulling the gear selector slightly into reverse would unlock it. Can this be adjusted or is it part of a bigger problem like the main cable being out of adjustment?

I have visually checked the wiring under the engine cover and inside of the RCB. My 20A starter fuse is good. I do not have a volt/ohm meter at the house right now so I can't do any wiring checks until tomorrow. I did find another broken ground terminal behind the CD unit but repairing it did not solve any issue. I also tried my spare CD unit with no change. I tried bypassing the neutral switch with no change either

Anyone know under what conditions does the warning buzzer sound when the key is turned to start?

edit - Thankfully there is a wiring diagram in the back of the owners manual. The starting circuit is fairly simple but it took me a while to determine how the warning buzzer is used in this situation. It appears that the warning buzzer is only a bypass circuit to ground. So I need to verify the starter circuit and solenoid. I know the ground coming from the starter solenoid is good, if I have power to the solenoid then it is bad(allowing the circuit to not complete). If I don't have power going to the solenoid then it's a wiring concern. I already jumped the neutral switch with no change so it's okay. I must have power coming out of the main switch or else the warning buzzer would not sound.

The only neutral switch I could locate is in the RCB, there isn't another one in the engine compartment is there? I followed the green wire all the way to the starter solenoid and didn't see anything else

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 2005 Nissan 4-stroke EP no-crank

Check all your grounds. Verift the RC cable adjustments. I believe your motor does have provision for a horizontally-mounted neutral safety sw that is operated by the shift lever shaft. That sw may or may not be present, depending on what any PO may have had done.

Last edited:

msaunoras

Seaman Apprentice

My RC cables are adjusted correctly as far as I can tell. I've never had any engagement concerns before this. My neutral switch also tests good.

My diagnosis tonight lead me to a starter solenoid that is open internally on the coil side. I have infinite resistance in the coil windings.

I hooked up an 8amp test light to the green wire inside of the engine compartment and to the ground bolt connection where the solenoid connects.

With the key turned to start the light illuminates.

pvanv

Admiral

If you are sending power to the green solenoid trigger wire, and the ground is good, yet it does not click, and close to send the power to the starter motor, the solenoid is shot. There should be at least a few ohms resistance across the coil of the starter solenoid. That part is in stock: 3H8760400M STARTER SOLENOID $62.18

msaunoras

Seaman Apprentice

I am confident it is the starter solenoid, more confident than the CD unit diagnosis. Oh well, I'm waiting on another dealer to contact me about part availability. Atleast until then the engine pull starts effortlessly.

It fired on the first cold start pull tonight . I'm thankful for that

pvanv

Admiral

Your motor uses 3H8760400M, STARTER SOLENOID. MSRP is $62.18. Figure $50.00 plus freight.

msaunoras

Seaman Apprentice

The starter solenoid came in today so I tossed it in this evening. Problem solved.

Paul I should just order my parts off of you, would this be a problem? I ended up paying full retail + shipping. Oh well, atleast it's fixed again.

And I "fixed" my starter lock. A bit unprofessional but I pulled the spring off the lock, rebent it the other way and now it just holds the lock off all the time.

pvanv

Admiral

Parts pricing is OK at retail for small bits; the big plus is a dealer who provides the service you want. The price killer is usually freight, especially on heavier parts. We discount most parts, but then you would add UPS to PA, which might end up being the same cost as retail pricing at a local dealer. Either way is fine.

You are not the first to disable the starter lock :)

msaunoras

Seaman Apprentice

I will let you know then. I still need to get the ball rolling on the Tach w/ oil pressure lamp I wanted to install. I also need a primer bulb hose assembly and I'd like to get a factory service manual too. Some things to think about for the future

pvanv

Admiral

I will let you know then. I still need to get the ball rolling on the Tach w/ oil pressure lamp I wanted to install. I also need a primer bulb hose assembly and I'd like to get a factory service manual too. Some things to think about for the future

Drop an email to me at the office: paul@obersheimersails.com, or call 716-877-8221 M-F 9-7 Eastern. I'm out of the office this coming week, but Charlie can help you. I will be dropping in there on Wednesday to catch up on correspondence, etc., and you may be able to catch me there on that day.