steering arm removal

surf1

Cadet
I have a 1984 evinrude 185tlcrs and would like to know if it is possible to remove and replace the steering arm without removing the powerhead?

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: steering arm removal

On my 1985 and my 1996 v 4 Jonny's it is possible. A mechanic quoted me $1500 to do the job because he said you have to remove powerhead from mid. Not so. What you do is remover lower unit, and un bolt motor and midsection from swivel bracket and steering arm(they stay bolted to transom). I think its two blots at the top and maybe four total at the bottom. I ended up having to cut the large nut at the bottom that holds the steering arm in its tube and use a big hammer to remove it but everything went back together fine I used a tree in the front yard to hang the motor from a large strap and was done in a couple of hours. Again that was on my v-4 crossflow

surf1

Cadet

Thank you for your input. While i was looking at it, it looked possible to do so. Now hearing from someone who has accomplished it makes me think it is possible. I will continue to look a little deeper, but thanks again.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let me check but I may have some pics of when I did mine. I get back with you

surf1

Cadet

Thank you i would really appreciate the pics

1FASTLASER

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you do not have to remove powerhead like surrender said. Drop the lower,suspend the motor just like he indicated and remove the upper and lower bolts. Very easy to do with proper tools. Biggest headache is indeed the large nut on bottom of tiller arm...b careful and use a cheater bar and plenty of pbblaster or equivelant.