125 force help needed / cannot take load

Acu

Recruit
Firstly I would like to thank this site and all the guys on it. This is the first post I have had to do because all of my troubles have been covered by others.

hears the deal... 1985 force 125
Out trolling a few days ago for about 2 hours ...3mph 1100 rpm everything is fine but no fish. The motor dies out so I restart no problem. When I went to put it in gear it dies out..repeat 3-4 times. I popped the top and fiddled with everything over the next hour. Idle stop screw, connecting rod, carbs. Nothing helps finally I did get it to run and idle in gear,(1000rpm) but everytime I tried to give a bit more gas motor died. Idled back to dock. Note : Motor would take gas manually with connecting rod off. .....Got home went to flush motor, starts fine and...get this...goes in and out of gear and revs fine.

My thinking ....is ..am I sucking air, that would explain start and idle being fine..or something electrical.

Checked all hoses
New diaphram in fuel pump 2 months prior
Timing set and carbs cleaned 2 months prior.
New feul tank
Compression is 140 on all 4

Any thoughts would be appriciated. Thank You

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 125 force help needed / cannot take load

So when you were still in the water and it idled at 1000 RPM and dies everytime you put more gas, was the cowl off? Or was it on? I'm thinking it could be some exhaust leak that is preventing you since it did very well out of the water.

Acu

Recruit

tried it both ways ..cowl on and off, no difference. When idling back to the dock motor would idle for 4-5 min then quit, had to choke to restart. Did that 5-6 times to get back in. Cannot find any leaks in fuel hose, no pinches.Thank you for your response.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Did you clean the plugs? Fouled plugs will do that.

Acu

Recruit

even changed the plugs..no difference....as quick as it would die after shifting it was almost as if someone was hitting a kill switch

foodfisher

Captain

You might be hitting a kill switch. Idle is pretty close to neutral. maybe the idle saftey switch needs adjusting.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Safety switch won't kill a running motor.
Check for water in the gas.

Jiggz

Captain

tried it both ways ..cowl on and off, no difference. When idling back to the dock motor would idle for 4-5 min then quit, had to choke to restart. Did that 5-6 times to get back in. Cannot find any leaks in fuel hose, no pinches.Thank you for your response.

If you have to choke to re-start it means a fuel delivery problem or a clogged idle port in the carbs. Removed the needle fuel-air screw all the way out and check the points for smoothness. Shoot the port with carb or brake cleaner with a red straw. Do on both carbs. Now screw in the needle valve slowly until lightly seated (do not tighten this will damage the needle point) and then back out 1 1/4 turn. Start engine and try again. Post back results.

Acu

Recruit

Just typed a response and lost it so here goes again.
When I was on the water making adjustments no choke was needed. Idling to dock it was. I have thought about cleaning the cards again but it is hard to believe. Since the start of summer, carbs cleaned, new tank, and timming set, ran like a raped ape. I have not run 6 gallons thru. Is there anything else electrical it could be ?( lock out switch is fine). I had a chain saw that idled and ran fine until you tried to cut a piece of wood, then it died like it had been shot. After putting $90 in it, the problem was a split fuel line inside the saw ( $1.45 repair).

This just breaks my heart, spent all last summer and spring gutting, rewiring, glassing and decking. The misses has 4 days off this weekend and that hasn't happened for 6 years. Mechanic said call in 10 days if I can't find the problem, maybe he can look then. It will turn out to be something simple and I will feel like an idiot.

Jiggz

Captain

Cleaning the idle port don't take but 10~20 minutes with very little effort as long as you are aware of what you are doing. And yes, a blocked idle port will definitely ruin your day. With a block idle port people will try to adjust the idle screw and when the engine keeps running around 1500 RPM with 1000 RPM is gear they think they have set the idle speed correctly. But the truth, it's not idling it is actually throttled. The problem with this setting is when you load the motor it will mostly stall due to lack of idle fuel. The reason when you put load the engine needs additional fuel but it doesn't get it until the throttle opens up. But with proper idle setting the basic fuel amount is provided by the idle port even before the throttle opens up.