Boat Cover Recommendations

Jay 215CC

Cadet
Hi all,

I just bought a 2007 Tahoe 215CC and I'm looking for recommendations for a boat cover.

This is a 21 foot center console deckboat and the cheap universal covers do not fit very well because of the center console.

The boat will stay outside on a boat lift, so I need to protect it from the sun and rain as much as possible.

Can you give me some input on a good (or bad) source and which materials are good (or bad). I'm expecting to pay $400 - $500 or so and want to get a cover that will last and perform well.

Thanks!!

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boat Cover Recommendations

I paid about $500 for a cover here on iboats. Its made by Carver and its called Aqua Shield. My boat is 22.5 feet.
It fits well but it is not waterproof. Every time it rains the inside of the boat gets soaked. I cover it with a $25 poly tarp which I think is what I should have done in the first place while I had a nice custom cover.
Spend the money on a nice custom cover other wise its $500 wasted.

tboneis

Recruit

Stay away from Westland boat covers...they have poor quality, their workmanship is awful, and they will not honor their warranties! You've been warned.

Thalasso

Commander

Get one made and made out of Sunbrella fabric. Every couple of years scrub with Woolite and coat with 303 fabric protectant and you will have it for years to come.It does not weigh alot and It breathes and because of that you won't get mildew and mold on your fabric and seats.Mine is going on 7yrs and still looks new. I don't think you will get a quality one that fits well for that kind of money you are willing to spend

oldjeep

Admiral

Stay away from Westland boat covers...they have poor quality, their workmanship is awful, and they will not honor their warranties! You've been warned.

Both of the Westland covers I've owned have been very nice. What is your particular problem with them? My current one is Sharkskin Supreme SD

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Get one made and made out of Sunbrella fabric. Every couple of years scrub with Woolite and coat with 303 fabric protectant and you will have it for years to come.It does not weigh alot and It breathes and because of that you won't get mildew and mold on your fabric and seats.Mine is going on 7yrs and still looks new. I don't think you will get a quality one that fits well for that kind of money you are willing to spend
Thank you Thalasso! (So there is hope ...) I custom fit covers using Sunbrella sewn with Tenara(GoreTex) thread. First one I did was 9yrs ago, ain't heard no complaints.

Yeah might cost a lil more than some pos semi-custom fit cover but do the math. Fwiw I've restitched 13 yr old Sunbrella. Crappy polyester thread was shot but the canvas was still good. I don't think there's a better material on the market.

Much to my chagrin people are forever bringing their piece of crap covers into my shop wanting me to resurrect them. For next to free of course.

Guess I just dont understand. Pay a ton o money for a boat and then put a pos cover on it. Btw 'semi-custom' means "almost fits, poorly ..."

Thalasso

Commander

Thank you Thalasso! (So there is hope ...) I custom fit covers using Sunbrella sewn with Tenara(GoreTex) thread. First one I did was 9yrs ago, ain't heard no complaints.

Yeah might cost a lil more than some pos semi-custom fit cover but do the math. Fwiw I've restitched 13 yr old Sunbrella. Crappy polyester thread was shot but the canvas was still good. I don't think there's a better material on the market.

Much to my chagrin people are forever bringing their piece of crap covers into my shop wanting me to resurrect them. For next to free of course.

Guess I just dont understand. Pay a ton o money for a boat and then put a pos cover on it. Btw 'semi-custom' means "almost fits, poorly ..."

Most people don't know what Tenara thread (best you can get for the application) is and when you tell them what a spool cost they will say holly s^%&.

Jay 215CC

Cadet

Thanks for all the info.

Here's an update.....I bought a cover from Cabela's for about around $250. It has a 6 year warranty and looks great. It has not rained yet so I cannot say how well it repels water. It's not custom made, but seems to fit pretty well. For the price, I'm very happy with it.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sometimes...'when it rains, it pours'....

You can always add a product like 303 Waterproofer and UV guard... to boost the water resistance (and UV resistance).

The sag , eventual pooling , and eventual leaking is what I see that is often the worst issue with pre-fab.