Not done with you yet. A couple more bimini questions.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer
Starting a new thread that is kinda an extension of the last.

I have a 2003 Maxum 2300/2400 SC
I took the dimensions of the boat last night and I also compared it to the tops for some of the pre-measured tops for boats of a different year (but that I think are the same design). When I was taking the cockpit dimension I pondered just how long the top should be, as in how far forward and how far rearward. I figured to the top of the windshield closest the drive to the forward part of rear bench. This worked out to 105 inches. On all the suggested sizes on iBoats for same or similar boat, the pre-cut size was 6' or 72". Big difference. My measurement is likely too long but what is the standard for deciding length?

I then did some searches for pics of bimini tops and found quite a variety of styles and am not sure what to choose OR what iboats bimini tops will end up looking like.
Take a look at the pics below. Mine is the first.
I REALLY like the bimini style that has the hardware on the outside (the navy blue one) BUT if there is a way of incorporating my existing tubing in some way, that would make it easier.
Thanks again

Attachments

• Boat Misc 02.jpg
    Boat Misc 02.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 0
  • vlcsnap-2012-07-13-16h48m29s50.jpg
    vlcsnap-2012-07-13-16h48m29s50.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PA_640.jpg
    PA_640.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Sportboot Maxum mit Bimini Top.jpg
    Sportboot Maxum mit Bimini Top.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3993409_-1_20120612070553_7_0.jpg
    3993409_-1_20120612070553_7_0.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Not done with you yet. A couple more bimini questions.

If I understand you correctly, there is already a top for your boat, pic. #1. But you like pic. #3 better?

I like the top in #1 as it has the ability to have side curtains and a back window installed. It is also a cleaner look with limited fiberglass intrusion. It also appears that the top can be separated at the middle bow, the reason for the strap? This is a much more useful setup than the blue one, and increases the value of your boat. However, this canvas is a specialty item, made by a canvas shop. Well worth the money, but worth it to my mind.

The blue one also doesn't look like it will lay down out of the way.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply. The first picture is my boat and I do have the windows etc for that canvas. BUT, I want a bimini set up as well, one that has a space between the windshield and the top itself. The way my boat is now, any sun protection means I have to have something snapped onto my windshield. All the canvas on my boat has zippers that attach it to the tubing so I can easily remove it and leave the tubing in place. I was hoping that I could use the existing tubing you see in that first picture to also support a bimini top. Because I have never used a bimini, I cannot appreciate how it supports itself in the strong wind and therefore cannot envision what needs to be done to convert my existing tubing to support a bimini. All the advice Ive rec'd so far suggests it cannnot or it would be complicated. So, I thought I was going to have to buy one but after looking around at various pictures on the net, I could see there is more than one structural option. What I am MOST looking for is a setup that means I do not have to remove and install tubing whenever I erect the bimini. The top in the second and third pictures looked very rigid and independent of my existing canvas and I liked it but I wasnt sure it the tops iBoats sells are like this one in design. But after looking at other designs (like the one in picture 4 and 5) I cant see why I cant use my existing tubing. It appears all I would need to do is had the shocks straps to the front and rear to more or less pull the bimini taught. But again, I just havent the experience to foresee flaws in that idea, hence my reason for asking here.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, I am understanding your desire better now.

So, let's start by your knowing that if you want to use the existing tubes, a good idea, then the canvas must be special made.

Since it will need to be custom made, the canvas guy will need your boat for a short time for the measurements/fitting.

The forward canvass, from the top of the windshield to the 1st tube, is the front support/tensioner, and will need to be replaced by straps, or poles. Easy!

If the back canvas can be unzipped, replace it with either straps or poles and you would then have your bimini.

If you really want a shorter top, then he may be able to add a small tube on the front main tube, going back to support the new canvas.

However, this is something you will not be able to purchase off the shelf to meet your desire tom use the existing poles. There sho0uld be more than 1 canvas shop, even upholsters, in your area.

Found this one on a quick google search; http://canvasworkandsailrepair.com

Furnish some pictures after you get what you want.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Will do. Found someone this morning. Thanks