Bilge Access for Hurricane SD217OB

donaldm241

Recruit
I recently bought a 2012 Hurricane Sun Deck SD217 OB and want to replace my bilge pump as well as clean all the debirs out of the bilge. Can anyone advise how to access the bilge area?

The only access I can find is through the access hole aboove the battery on the port side aft or two 6inch diamer holes on the transom area. None of these holes are large enough to allaccess to the the bottom of the bilge where the bileg pump is located.

My dealer's response was to have someone wuith long arms! There must be an access plate somewhere that I have not found

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: Bilge Access for Hurricane SD217OB

You're dealer was correct. That the only access areas into the bilge on most of the OB models that I've seen or worked on. Very difficult indeed to be able to do it.

The only other option you have is to cut a larger opening and replace with a larger access port that would give better access.

The outstanding question is how did they do it? Unfortunately its all in place before the cap is attached to the hull so its not a concern until you need to service it. Royal PITA.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the same boat and same problem. I'm wondering whether it might be possible to cut an access behind the seat, but I know the fuel tank is back there someplace. Keep an eye out for a skinny midget mechanic.............about the only way someone could fit through the battery hole.

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gents,

I know there's a list of negatives regarding I/O's, but I gotta tell ya, when I read these kind of threads, I can't help feeling a bit relieved that I chose the I/O..... especially because I'm very far from being a midget.... oh yeah, and claustrophobic! Gotta love those engineers that design things they never have to work on!!!!

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Ernest T. On my SS188, there is an access port behind the seat. Unfortunately, it provides no help in this regard. I only access where they installed my after market fuel/water separator (which again, you need 7 ft long arms to reach)

Definitely no fun getting in there to work on stuff. Fixed the bilge pump on a friend's Hurricane a few weeks back. Scrapes and marks on my arms are now just healed.