Dropped a screw now hard to turn

Lupus71

Seaman
I put a new coil on my 9.5 Johnson today and dropped a bolt behind the starter pawl so I turned the motor upside down and and heard it move around then never came out. So I took apart the flywheel and stator nothing stuck to magnets but it's very hard to turn the flywheel at about 3/4 turn then it frees up and catches again in the same spot. Any thoughts?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dropped a screw now hard to turn

I think the answer is in the title of the thread.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Are your coils hitting the flywheel?
Find the bolt.

Lupus71

Seaman

I don't think there's any adjustment for the coils that I can see. Also the forward reverse lever will now only go in reverse. I put it in the water in neutral and fired it up and it feels like something is turning the throttle to the off position.

NovaNewfie

Cadet

The bolt is still there somewhere. You have to find it...

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

its possible you are just feeling compression when turning. Remove plugs and see if it turns freely.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I think we are being baited here. No one would drop a bolt in an area where the are rapidly rotating parts and then proceed to operate it.

Lupus71

Seaman

Thanks for the help guys, I never got it out but the flywheel was hitting on the coil and turns out you can adjust it. But I'm worried where the heck that screw could be. It can't get into anything can it? I mean there's no access into moving part unless you take a part off and make a hole for it to fall into right? There is a rubber deal that is under the motor but I don't know what's under it.