Tlt/Trim poser - Alpha One II

jameskcowley

Recruit
My recent purchase has the above engine and I have scoured the forum for many threads about a tilt/trim issue but this leaves me still with a poser!

When not used for a couple of days, to get the stern down I have to ask someone to just lend some weight to initiate the movement - all is then well to fully down. However, the "up" motion initiates and moves for a few inches before the motor stops. I am then able to use the trailer trim to raise it.

If the stern is not fully down (absolutely down) the "up" trim doesnt work albeit the trailer trim kicks in.

I have concluded that the pump must be ok, the solenoids must be ok, the switch must be ok but.................

So... why does the sterndrive no auto matically go down when the "down" button is toggled and then why will it only come up a few inches on the "up" trim, even tho' the trailer button ensures itcan be fully retracted?

The only thing I haven't done is to bleed the system but the oil looks like oil (not milky white), the engine has been regularly serviced and through a combo of some weight to start, some toggling between up and trailer, I have a tiltable stern drive.

I have read up/down issues etc but none describing this problem and would really appreciate some ehlp.

Thanks ever so

James

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tlt/Trim poser - Alpha One II

check your oil or pump oil if it's low it may stop. will it lower . there may be limits switch a picture would be helpful

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When not used for a couple of days, to get the stern down I have to ask someone to just lend some weight to initiate the movement - all is then well to fully down.

That is because you put the drive up and as you keep holding the button it keeps pressurizing the system. When you get the drive up, hit the down button to relieve the excess pressure. Makes all the valves in the pump happier, and you won't need someone to jump on it to free it up.

and then why will it only come up a few inches on the "up" trim, even tho' the trailer button ensures itcan be fully retracted?
There is a trim limit switch on the side of the drive to prevent excess trim when boating. The next step of for trailering and/or shallow water use at REDUCED RPM ONLY.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Hi James,
Sounds like you have two different problems.
1. The drive not going down without extra weight on it. Could be a bad valve in the trim pump but is most often caused by a part called “memory piston” that is in the rams. You might want to try not raising the drive all the way up to the point that the trim motor slows down. If you do go that far try running it back down alittle bit right away so there isn’t a lot of pressure on the system.
2. The drive only goes up with the trailer switch. Could be a “trim limit switch” that needs to be adjusted or replaced.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

So... why does the sterndrive no auto matically go down when the "down" button is toggled and then why will it only come up a few inches on the "up" trim, even tho' the trailer button ensures itcan be fully retracted?

It may be that your trim limit switch needs to be adjusted. Run the outdrive down, then trim up till it stops. Measure center to center on the trim ram bolts. For a gen II it should be 20 3/4 inches. You can loosen the two adjustment screws on the port side trim limit switch to adjust the length. Turn it counterclockwise to lengthen the throw.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

why will it only come up a few inches on the "up" trim,

They only move "a few inches" when adjusted correctly.