Manufacturer installed alpha one offset centre

rkazmo

Cadet
I have a 2001 Tahoe Q3. Last week I took my boat into a mechanic to repair my alpha one outdrive.

The Mechanic informed me that the outdrive was installed incorrectly at the time of production by the manufacturer. The hole cut into the transom was cut on an angle. The top of the outdrive is on an angle to the right and the bottom of the outdrive is to the left where it is attached to the transom. Hope this makes sense to everyone.

When driving the boat it does pull to the left and the water spray that comes out the back is approx 3 ft higher then on the left side.

I was wondering what I can do about this if anything and what other issues does this cause?

Would Tahoe repair this manufacturing mistake.

Thanks again as always to all you reply!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Manufacturer installed alpha one offset centre

After 10 years, I doubt if Tahoe would warrant the problem. Are you the original owner? If so, you might call Tahoe and ask them, If you aren't the original owner then you have no way of knowing if it was original or messed up during a repair.

About the only thing you can do is replace the transom, and make a new cutout.

rkazmo

Cadet

What type of problems woud this pose?
Fuel consumption, pre mature wearing of the drive?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You did not answer Don's question on whether you are the original owner or not.

And what exactly did you take the drive in for as you only mention to "repair my alpha drive"?

Obviously the boat is 11 years and what issues are you actually having?

Mark

rkazmo

Cadet

My apoligies, no I am not the original owner. I purchased the boat last year from a dealer here in Ontario. I had to have the drive gear and driven gear replaced.

Besides what I mentioned above the only other issue would be that the boat leans to to one side more then the other when I drive it.

I was curious as to what other problems this may pose and whether it is worth my time trying to pursue this further?

TilliamWe

Banned

It could also lead to dangerous handling and instability of the boat. Btu considering it's already 11 years old and you are able to use it, that must not be the case.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

If you look at the boat from the rear (out of the water) can you see that the outdrive is not mounted squarely? Have any pictures?

Maclin

Admiral

My theory goes like this... When the outdrive is trimmed to where it is not lifting or pushing the bow, at "zero" lift, it would probably drive the hull straight. If the drive is trimmed all the way down I would think it would tilt the boat to the right severely as it drives the bow down. I would think if one was turning to the right trimmed all the way down from a dead stop and hammered the throttle that the boat would tilt to the right, then turn and go under. I think it would do the same thing if turning left from a dead stop, although it would be trying to lift and tilt left at first trying to get above the water line.

All of this depends on how far off it is, 1/4 inch or 1 inch or 2 inches top to bottom.

rkazmo

Cadet

I have attached a pic of the drive for your opinion and comment. ThanksDrive.jpg

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hard to tell based on that picture, since its so close and also appears angled, but the drive does appear to be installed off center...

rkazmo

Cadet

here is the second picture I took. I can retake again tonight if this is not any better.IMG-20120718-00011.jpg

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That picture is better. The drive does appear noticibly off-center... An inch or more if I had to guess.

rkazmo

Cadet

So in your opinion how serious would you say this is?

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Wouldn't the hydrofoil amplify whatever effect the tilted drive has?

TilliamWe

Banned

Can't be real serious. The boat is 11 years old and it hasn't been wrecked because of it. The engine and drive have lasted for 11 years. So you tell me, what problems can it cause that it hasn't already caused?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You've been operating the boat, and until your mechanic mentioned it there wasn't a big problem. So how serious can it be?
It pull in one direction and the wake is higher off one side is that a serious problem for you?

Maclin

Admiral

FRom the pic it appears to me to be so slight that none of my theories about nightmare scenarios could happen. I think any imbalance while running could be easily corrected by some properly tuned tabs, Smart or Manual.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Manufacturer installed alpha one offset center

If it hasn't already been done, loosening the transom mount and twisting it CCW with the play in the holes may remove most or all of the issue.
Someone may have had it off at some point and did not pay attention to the orientation when it went back on.
An engine alignment would be needed after that move.

It is hard to believe the factory mounted it that way.
They do it every day and use a custom jig/template just to avoid this kind of issue.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

The top of the drive looks centered if you compare it to the center cap thing on the rub rail. But if you take the hydraulic line fittings and compare them to the strakes at the very bottom of the boat, it looks like the bottome of the drive is to the left better than an inch.
That said, as previousely mentioned, if that boat isn't that ill manored how bad could it be.
I would doubt bolt holes would have that much slop in them to let you move the transome shield that much.
That's a first though, never heard of that one.