New rectifier

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I checked to see if the motor is charging the battery this morning. I hooked a digital VOM to the wires running from the battery terminals. I checked the voltage before starting and it was 12.25. When I started the motor the voltage dipped down to 11.4 for a second and then held steady at a little above 12.4 - 12.47. Does this mean the battery isn't charging because of the charging system on the motor or does it mean that the battery is fully charged? Revving the motor didn't seem to make any changes in the reading nor did turning on the running and anchor lights. I was really expecting to see a reading of about 14 volts with the motor running but it never got up to 12.5V.

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New rectifier

Sounds like it has a malfunctioning voltage regulator.
It seems the voltage climbs from 12.25 to 12.47 when you run the engine so it is providing a charge, just not enough...
Should read at least 13.2.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New rectifier

I just went out and checked the battery again and it read 12.65 Volts. So I am really wondering if the battery isn't fully charged. I think you are right though I would think I would see over 13 volts for a while after starting it. Thanks