Towing weight

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2012 Grand Caravan (brand new). I have a 18 1/2 foot 1985 Bayliner Capri on a galvanized trailer. I know the boat is not waterlogged. I have to trailer the boat about 25 miles. Flat road. The car dealership says no problem. I used to pull the boat with a full sixed van. I am a little nervous. Van is rated for 3700 lbs towing capacity, has a six cylinder and front wheel drive. Tongue weight on the trailer is about 200 lbs - 300 lbs (just guessing) I don't have a way to weigh the boat and trailer and I don't want to ruin my transmission. Any help?

Thanks, Eric

Chip Chester

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Towing weight

Ask a friend with a truck to tow it to weigh the trailer, disconnected from the truck. Compare to the published (non-salesman) tow rating. Go class III on the hitch, just for convenience and versatility, if weights are under control.

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't have a scale local to me. Is there some sort of online published weight chart or other type of weight info online? Does anyone else pull a boat with a Grand Caravan?
Eric

Jeep Man

Commander

I've towed my pontoon further than that with no problem with a Caravan. If it's a one time tow just take it easy and all will be fine. Pick a cooler day or tow early in the day before things heat up. If it is going to be repeated trips through the season, get a full tow package which includes a larger transmission cooler.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Not sure about the new Caravans but we had an 09 and the tranny was junk.
Google Caravan transmission problems. I think there must be over a million threads by now.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

hull 1555
outboard motor 325 More for an i/o.
battery, fuel, gear 350
trailer 700

so, 3100 #

Also, you have plenty of scales in Rockford.

Moving company (Graebel)
Gravel yard
Feed mill
Truck Stop

Feed mill is your best bet for friendly people.

UncleWillie

Captain

You should be well within towing limits.

The trailer is the wild-card.
Make sure the tires are FULLY inflated.
Stop after 1 mile, Feel the Hubs and the rubber on the tires.
If they are cool enough to leave your hand on them, they are fine.
If you had to brake a lot in that first mile the hubs may be a bit hotter, but both should feel the same. Use your judgment.

If it is safe enough to tow to the scales, it is safe enough to tow home!
Stay well under 60 if on the freeway and just let the traffic pass you.
At 25 miles, you should be home safe and sound within the hour.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can tow it gently on flat ground as much as you want. There seems to be this mentality that you need a diesel dually to tow a single jet ski.
I towed my old 16 foot bayliner with an 85 HP outboard with my Nissan Altima for years. The boat, motor and trailer weighed 1650 on the scales. I got 22 mpg towing.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I had a 1990 something Grand Caravan with the 3.0 Mitsubishi six cylinder and three speed automatic. I used it to tow my 18 foot closed bow with a 125 on the back. Never any problems towing 20 miles each way and never had trouble on the ramp.

The transmission, which was supposed to be a piece of crap and supposedly failed regularly, lasted me 180,000 miles. The main reason I traded the Caravan for my S10 was because the air conditioning failed. Oh, yeah-- I bought a 21 foot cuddy and the poor Caravan did know that it was back there--that was just a little too much for it.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

I don't have a scale local to me. Is there some sort of online published weight chart or other type of weight info online? Does anyone else pull a boat with a Grand Caravan?
Eric

Found this on line;

Road Ranger
4980 South Main Street, Rockford, IL
(815) 315-4974

They advertise that they have a truck scale. I believe it is a Pilot truck stop.

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to all who helped me by responding to my post. I ended up going to a scale today. No such thing as free though, even though I was nice, 15 bucks. My 1985 Bayliner Capri with trailer and a 125 hp engine and half a tank of gas and my stuff (maybe 50 pounds of stuff including an extra battery), unhooked from my tow vehicle sittling alone on the scale weighs 2320 lbs. I was thinking it was going to be more. Now, does anyone see an issue with me towing this behind my new Dodge Grand Caravan. 3.6 liter engine. Has a 3700 lb tow rating on the vehicle. I did not get the "towing package" that Dodge offered because it was simply too expensive and put me in a COMPLETELY different price range. I simply put my own hitch on and wiring for the lights. The dealer said the tow package did not include an extra tranny cooler. So I figure I am good to go. Am I? What do you guys think?

oldjeep

Admiral

It'll be fine, you are well under the tow rating. Only thing I'd be careful of is the ramps - FWD mini vans can be fun on a slick ramp. Might have to get your passengers to sit on the hood for traction.

briangcc

Commander

I had a '99 Bayliner Capri 1800LS w/120HP Force Engine (later upgraded to a '00 Honda 115 HP outboard). I towed it with my parent's '05 Pontiac Montana one year as some yahoo hit my pickup days before the family vacation. The van had the towing package on it and did just fine. The only request my parents had was taking the van out of OD (per owners manual & GM not to tow in OD).

Now tranny coolers are a different matter. You mentioned you do not have one. Are you sure? Do you have AC? Reason I'm asking is 2 fold. First, the tranny cooler will cool off your transmission fluid from the excess heat from towing. That, along with regular fluid/filter changes, will extend the life of your transmission. Second, with AC you get a larger radiator to allow your engine to effectively deal with the higher temps from towing.

Both of these aren't show stoppers as you can buy a universal tranny cooler and have it installed on the cheap. Same goes for getting a larger radiator.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should be fine but I would definately put a tranny cooler on it and keep the fluid changed. Simple and easy to do. I've put a large tranny cooler on every vehicle I've ever had with an auto trans; and have yet to have one fail. Even my 98 Dodge Ram 1500 with the "weak" 46RE; 162,000 miles. Had 287,000 miles (mostly short trip/city driving also) on my Chevy when I pulled the motor/trans and put in a big block. Keep out of O/D when towing and you're good to go.

BonairII

Commander

You'll be just fine with the Caravan. I'd keep the tranny out of OD on the highway...it's easier on the tranny if your rpms are up a tad while pulling.

Capt Cloke

Recruit

I have an 03 Dodge Caravan and want to tow a 18' fiberglass boat. I put a Class 3 hitch on my Caravan. Will I be okay?

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an 03 Dodge Caravan and want to tow a 18' fiberglass boat. I put a Class 3 hitch on my Caravan. Will I be okay?

See my detailed post within: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=579632

As other stated, install brakes on the attached trailer, install transmission cooler (for 5,000 lbs trailer - for extra cooling), install Class III hitch (or better) and take it nice and easy. Your mini-van combo and 18.5 OB engine combo is at the weight limits of the Tow Vehicle. After all "stuff" loaded into boat and mini-van, one might even be slightly over. Therefore, pack lightly as well...

Hope this helps....

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Late in on this thread but here goes.
Stay out of O/D
Fit additional tranny cooler and change fluid.
Don't try to break any speed records.
It's not just the weight you can tow. Remember to add all the stuff in the van and that includes the people to the weight and do not exceed the gross weight that is in your handbook.
Matters not whether there is an original cooler or not. If there is it is seldom enough to do the job.
Good Luck with it.

jestor68

Commander

What you need to check is the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer, so as to not exceed the limit listed in your owner manual.

That means you need to load the vehicle with whatever is your normal load; hitch up the trailer, and go to the scale and weigh the whole rig. You might be surprised at how much the vehicle weighs with the family and all your stuff in it.

My wife's Grand Caravan manual lists a Combined Vehicle Maximum Weight of 6600 lbs(no tow package). The GVWR is 5550 lbs.

If I estimate the GVW at around 4200 lbs loaded with the family and stuff, that leaves 2300 lbs that I can tow with it.

Where did you come up with that 3700 lb tow rating? That assumes that the tow vehicle only weighs 2900 lbs. Your "new" Caravan must be a lot lighter than our 2005.

Incidentally, I tow everything with my Dodge Ram(with the tow package). :)