Wiring diagram for 73 johnson 65 horse

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone tell me what wires on the wire harness that are the ignition wires? Trying to start my motor. Do not have the control box.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wiring diagram for 73 johnson 65 horse

if you have electro shift , ignition wires purple with white stripe , black \yellow stripe , white , & purple . to hot wire connect positive from battery to purple wire take the white wire & touch the purple & positive providing you connect the negative from battery to motor & one end of the solenoid should be earthed , by touching the white wire to the other 2 purple & battery positive the solenoid will click & turn starter , to switch it off touch the black&yellow wire to the motor earth

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine is not electro shift.... its mechanical.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Be careful messing around with hot wiring. You will damage the power pack if you apply any power to it. It is like a lawn mower, crank it and go. It should run without the remote control if you jump the starter motor to crank it. But you can't shut it off. The black wire with yellow stripe, coming from the power pack, is the kill wire. Grounding that wire kills the ignition/spark.

Worthy of note, it takes a control with a RED plug, No other one will do.

EDIT: Warning!!!. A disclaimer on what I said about running without the control. The powerhead must be grounded to the (-) side of a 12V battery, and the starter solenoid must be connected to the (+) side of the battery. Battery cables must be used, and securely attached. The spring clamps on jumper cables are NOT "securely attached". Failure to heed will result in a blown alternator rectifier.

EDIT EDIT: Corrected the plug color from yellow to red. Yellow is for 1972, red is for 1973-up. See how easy it is to screw up?

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I got it running today.... after 2 years of it sitting it fired right up. But i noticed while it was running that it sounded like it had a miss in it. When I rev it up it sounds almost like it is loosing a little bit of power. My compression reading today were 120 #1 120 #2 and 110 #3. And its getting plenty of spark.