Enough power?

Mojo27

Cadet
We are currently looking at a 26ft Crownline bowrider that weighs 5800 and has a 350 mag with a Bravo 3 out drive. We enjoy a lot of water sports and are on a pretty rough lake (ozarks). We aren't concerned with top speed but more of the whole shot to get skiers out of the water. Do you guys think the 350 mag is enough for a boat that big off the line?

Sherminator

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Enough power?

is it a duo prop or a single prop? you can always prop it different to help you pull up on plane faster but this will sacrifice top speed.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cant really answer your question as it relates to power for the boat. I am a Volvo Penta guy and I thought all Bravo 3's are dual props, aren't they? As for power, that is a lot of boat, not sure what you will need or if you will find that satisfactory. That is essentially the same power I have in mine but mine is MUCH smaller. Test drive it and see how it feels to you.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also think that sounds like marginal power for that big of a boat. Hopefully,
somebody with a boat more that size will give you their experience.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you guys think the 350 mag is enough for a boat that big off the line?

With the Bravo 3 and correct propset, you will have no problem getting out of the hole, IMO.

You will of course sea trial the boat though (right?), so decide for yourself when you do.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

300 HP with a B3? You will have NO problem with watersports IF you don't overload the boat with bodies and gear!

Better get the correct pitch props installed by dealer for agreed purchase price; otherwise, you will be in for a surprise if you have to re-prop later! $$$$$$

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a slip "partner" that has a 2007 26' Crownline with a Mercruiser 5.0L EFI (240 HP) and an Alpha one and he struggles to maintain a plane speed under 20mph and, depending on how much weight he's loaded with, would like to have a better hole shot for towing. His only real choice (and cheapest) is probably experimenting with a 4 blade prop. Put a 5.7L EFI @ 300 HP with a Bravo 3 in the same boat should totally fix the situation (just like Silly states!). Although my boat pushes close to the weight of the Crownline, I do have a flatter hull (12.5 degree deadrise), but my 5.0l/Bravo 3 combo jumps my boat out of the water and I can keep on plane under 15 mph without trim tabs. Although the max HP for my boat is 320. I elected to spend the "extra" money on upgrading the drive to the Bravo 3 (instead of going for the bigger engine) and I'm extremely satisfied with the performance and decision. Unless you overload the boat, I think you've got a pretty good engine/drive combo for that boat. The Bravo 3 also runs more efficient, however experimenting with prop pitches can be very expensive.

Mojo27

Cadet

Yes all bravo 3's are duo props. And we are for sure going to test drive it before we buy it. Thanks for all of your input guys! What do you think is the proper pitch for what we are going to do?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

depending on where you are I would look for a 26p, possibly a 24p, 24 will be better on the bottom and 26 will be better on top, if it has 28's then you need a new set a 350 MAG wont turn them on top.

26p is by far the most common though and I expect that yours will have them as well

a 350 MAG has nearly as much Horsepower as my 454 MPI it will have no problem in the 266, you will see a difference on the bottom and the top compared to mine though thats where the torque comes in, most would like a big block in that boat but I think you will be happy with 350 MAG.