1991 Johnson VJ150SLEIE Spark

khyatt444

Cadet
Had an intermittent spark issue ranging from no spark to spark on 1 cylinder. Replaced power pack with new CDI and no change. Replaced stator with new CDI and all spark returned for 5 minutes. After that only had spark on starboard bank. Put old power pack back on and all spark was restored for about 2 minutes. Then only had spark on port bank. I am thoroughly confused now and hoping that someone has seen this before. Any ideas?

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: 1991 Johnson VJ150SLEIE Spark

You need to check all of your wiring. I would begin by disconnecting the black and yellow wires running into the power pack and see if that cures the problem. If it does check the wiring harness running to the controls and the emergency stop switch. The shift interrupt switch could also be causing grief that is also located in the controls.

If either of those ideas don't work try disconnecting the two yellow wires going to the voltage regulator from the stator and see if that helps. All else fails refer to the CDI troubleshooting guide, there is a link in my sig.

khyatt444

Cadet

Tried all of the above. This is what i found today. Amphenol plug from new stator appears to be wired wrong. Should be brn, brn/yel, brn/blk, and brn/wht. I have 2 brn and 2 brn/yel. I have 965 ohms between between brn (A terminal) and brn/yel (D term). Also have 996 ohms between brn (C term) and brn/yel (B term) these appear to be wired wrong since the resistance should be between (A&B term) and (C&D term). I left a message with CDI and am waiting for them to call me back. Do you think this is what is blowing my packs?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

check your "Timer Base" thoroughly with DVA

khyatt444

Cadet

I dont have a dva meter but plan to have everything checked before running it again. Timer base is failing ohm test. Would the stator being wired wrong from CDI cause the timer base to go bad? It wasnt blowing packs until the new stator was installed.

khyatt444

Cadet

Anybody seen this before? Would like to know if stator wires being in wrong position from CDI could cause the packs to go out like this. Would it also kill my timer base?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Put old power pack back on and all spark was restored for about 2 minutes.

When you say spark was restored, was it running for that 2 minutes, or just you cranking and playing around testing for 2 minutes. If you have low cranking RPM you will lose spark intermittently. Your battery will be getting weaker as you keep testing.

I doubt your wiring was mixed up if you had spark for several minutes. Test the timer base thoroughly. Don't "write off" your packs if you don't know the condition of your timer base.
Loose or broken magnets on the flywheel can also lead down the garden path.

khyatt444

Cadet

When you say spark was restored, was it running for that 2 minutes, or just you cranking and playing around testing for 2 minutes. If you have low cranking RPM you will lose spark intermittently. Your battery will be getting weaker as you keep testing..

Confirmed spark and timing before starting engine but engine was running when the spark was lost.

I doubt your wiring was mixed up if you had spark for several minutes.

I dont see how the wiring can't be mixed up. According to CDI troubleshooting page, I should have 900-1100 ohms between A-B terminal and 900-1100 ohms between C-D terminal. I get no reading when I test these. I do get 965 ohms between A-D and 996 ohms between B-C. This makes me think that the wiring has to be wrong. Correct me if I am wrong in thinking this.

Test the timer base thoroughly. Don't "write off" your packs if you don't know the condition of your timer base.
Loose or broken magnets on the flywheel can also lead down the garden path.

I have ordered a DVA adapter because I do suspect that the timer base is faulty. I get no reading on any of the resistance checks on the CDI troubleshooting page. The timer base did pass this test before the new stator was installed. The power packs pass all resistance tests except for one on each pack. Assuming that this is the wire for the corresponding bank with no fire. All magnets on the flywheel are clean and secure.

khyatt444

Cadet

Note this from CDI troubleshooting page:

3. Check the stator and trigger resistance and DVA output as given below for each bank:
Wire Color Check to Wire Color Resistance DVA Reading
Brown Brown/Yellow (1st Pair) (b) 900-1100 150V or more Connected
Brown/Black Brown/White (2nd Pair) (b) 900-1100 150V or more Connected

b) Wires must be paired correctly. If the wires are crossed between pairs, the resulting feedback will destroy the power pack.

I am having a hard time getting any response from CDI about this issue. I have sent two emails and left a voicemail and have not gotten a response from them yet.

khyatt444

Cadet

Finally got an email from CDI asking for date code on stator. Will keep you informed of what happens. I hated searching posts with problems similar to some of mine early on only to get to the end and there was no response or resolution.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Stator wires Brown-pin A
Brown/yellow pin B
Brown/black pin C
Brown/white pin D
Orange/black pin E if engine has Quick Start and S.L.O.W.
Orange pin F if engine has Quick Start and S.L.O.W.

FOR 35 AMP SYSTEM CROSS FLOW ENGINE.

khyatt444

Cadet

Stator wires Brown-pin A
Brown/yellow pin B
Brown/black pin C
Brown/white pin D
Orange/black pin E if engine has Quick Start and S.L.O.W.
Orange pin F if engine has Quick Start and S.L.O.W.

FOR 35 AMP SYSTEM CROSS FLOW ENGINE.

Exactly. Readings are supposed to be between pins A&B and pins C&D. I dont get any resistance readings between these pins. I do however get readings between pins A&D and pins B&C. This tells me that the pins were wired wrong from CDI and it is blowing my power packs.

khyatt444

Cadet

Finally got an email from CDI asking for date code on stator. Will keep you informed of what happens. I hated searching posts with problems similar to some of mine early on only to get to the end and there was no response or resolution.

I have not received any response from CDI since I emailed them the info that they requested yesterday. I have sent multiple emails to CDI today in an effort to find out the status of this situation. Why is it so hard to get an answer from them? If you call them, you have to leave a message and they never call you back. If you email them, they don't respond. I made the decision to order CDI parts because I had read so many positive comments about their Technical Support, but I have yet to see anything positive during my interaction with them.

khyatt444

Cadet

I have not received any response from CDI since I emailed them the info that they requested yesterday. I have sent multiple emails to CDI today in an effort to find out the status of this situation. Why is it so hard to get an answer from them? If you call them, you have to leave a message and they never call you back. If you email them, they don't respond. I made the decision to order CDI parts because I had read so many positive comments about their Technical Support, but I have yet to see anything positive during my interaction with them.

I haven't received any response from CDI since Monday. I have sent multiple emails and even left voicemails with them. Has anyone else had this kind of experience in dealing with them? I can't seem to be able to talk to anyone. They have an automated answering service and appear to be ignoring my emails. Have already lost one weekend of boating due to their defective part, now I am looking at loosing another weekend (which is my birthday) due to their poor Customer Service/Tech Support. Does anyone know how I can successfully get in touch with them???

khyatt444

Cadet

I was finally able to get someone on the phone. Same guy that I was emailing on Monday. He was out sick yesterday. Seems like a nice guy. He told me to send both the stator and pack back in for testing and that if it is indeed faulty, they should be able to send me a replacement within a couple of days. So it looks as though this weekend will be a bust, but I can still have hope for next weekend. Wish me luck.

clanton

Rear Admiral

CDI use to be Rapair, the orignal owner sold company when name was changed to CDI. I think CDI will take care of what ever the problem. They use to have a list of independent techs that was schooled in their products. There is also some phoney parts out there with CDIs name on them.

khyatt444

Cadet

CDI use to be Rapair, the orignal owner sold company when name was changed to CDI. I think CDI will take care of what ever the problem. They use to have a list of independent techs that was schooled in their products. There is also some phoney parts out there with CDIs name on them.

How would you know if you got a phony part?

clanton

Rear Admiral

If it came direct from CDI, it will be fine, if not CDI will know when they get the part.

khyatt444

Cadet

Sent parts out on Thursday for Friday delivery. Haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know what kind of time frame I can expect for a resolution. I would really hate to lose another weekend. Thanks.

khyatt444

Cadet

Sent multiple emails today to check on the status of my parts. I even called them but haven't gotten any response. What is the deal with these people? I have never seen anything like it. I have spent about $800 on new CDI parts and i can't get any response from them.