HELP: 1971 evinrude 60hp

huey3160

Cadet
I hope one of the 1970-1971 experts are ready to keep me from going insane. I have a 1971 evinrude 60 HP. Model # 60173C. I put it in the water and started it up.... no idle. It would stay running from about half throttle to full. Not the end of the world until I smelled burning wires and saw the smoke coming from the remote. I unhooked the battery and removed the cover. The blocking diode was melted and from what I guess to be arcing some other wires were destroyed. I ordered a remote on eBay. Mine said selectric on the side but reading the book I know that mine is hydro electric. The new remote and the old remote are exactly the same inside... however the original has a black plug and the new one has a yellow plug. Confused yet? Me too. Anyway I installed the new remote and rebuilt the carbs (to cure the idle problem) replaced the impeller and change the lower unit lube (type c). After all that I tried to start it with a flush kit attatched and 2 weird things happened.... first, it was starting in forward and would not go into neutral or reverse... second... the really puzzling one... it would only stay running when I would keep the key turned to the starting position. As soon as I let the key go... it dies. I am lost. I checked the ohms to the solenoids and they were good. Is it possible that the remote is wrong or bad? They appear identical except for the plug color. Does anyone else know about these. It is driving me nuts.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: HELP: 1971 evinrude 60hp

I think you have to have the same color cannon plugs. Red to red, black to black, yellow to yellow. I am sure someone will come along and correct me if I am wrong.

huey3160

Cadet

Does anyone know what the difference is ? Can I just put the old harness on and just hook it up the same as the original? I really appreciate the help. Can I use the parts from the new to rebuild the old? Thanks for all the help.... I need it.

w2much

Lieutenant

I believe your engine is an electric push button shift Selectric. Not hydro electric. I have seen persons mess with the hydro electric control to adapt it to selectric, I would not. You will need a manual to follow your wiring to make it work. My 71 50 HP has a yellow plug, it is not hydro electric. By the way i could use your push buttons for your F N & R. if you are going to use the hydro elecric control box.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

The 1971 60hp and 50hp are hydro-electric shifted motors, not electric shifted. Evinrude used the term Selectric for any motor that used electricity to control the shift, Electric or Hydro-electric. Control boxes did look like cousins, the hydro-electric versions had the ignition key, choke switch, and an overheat horn built into the control, the earlier Electric shift did not. The two are not interchangable, at least not with out some work, because the push button switch is different. The Hydro-electric gearcase defaults to forward and requires power to one of the shift solinoids and resulting oil pressure to shift into neutral, so the control box supplies no power in forward and power in neutral, and reverse. A control box from an Electric Shift supplies power in forward and reverse, but no power in neutral.
You say the boxes are identical? Hmm. Pics?
As for the dieing when key is released. Perhaps when you spliced the new control in you got some wires misswired so power is being supplied to the ignition only when the key is in the cranking position.

huey3160

Cadet

W2much... yours is selectric I believe. The 60hp is a different set-up. Everything I have seen (I do have a manual) tells me that both 60hp produced in 1970-1971 by evinrude are hydroelectric shift. Both systems use push button shifters and appear identical except in the way they work in the lower unit. From what you are saying though may help me a lot. What is the model # of your 50hp? I may be able to use the parts breakdown to compare the common parts. Whatever parts don't match, I can swap out. If I don't need the switch I would be happy to help you out. I honestly believe that the plug color may not have anything to do with the type of shift system but more with the type of ignition system... if a pro could please chime in and let me know if that is correct I would appreciate it. I think comparing the 2 parts lists would help me greatly because the wires are the same color so I can just rewire according to the schematics as long as I have the correct parts.

huey3160

Cadet

Jimmbo... thanks for the input... sounds like you are pretty well versed. I didn't have to splice anything... it was simply plug and play. It has the choke switch, horn and the switch is the only thing I am unsure of. Looks the same but I need to find a part # on it to know if its the same. The only noticeable difference is the color of the cannon plug. Do you know if the ignition systems are the same? I am still researching with no luck yet.

huey3160

Cadet

How do I post pics to the forum? Still a newb to this forum stuff.