I need help with my outdrive upper unit | Mercruiser Pre Alpha

MikeyD123

Cadet
Hello, This is my first posting. I have read a lot of helpful information and thought I would ask a questions and see if I get some useful advice. First to start from the beginning. My engine would not turn over, so after doing some research I concluded my outdrive was frozen and needed to be removed for the engine to start. I removed the outdrive and the engine fired right up. Now I am trying to figure out what could be wrong with my outdrive. It does not appear the shaft coming from the upper unit is wanting to turn. Could this be bearing??? or do I need to replace the whole shaft or possible the entire upper unit. Any advice is much appreciated and thank you for your help!

-Mike

Bondo

Staff member
Re: I need help with my outdrive upper unit | Mercruiser Pre Alpha

Hello, This is my first posting. I have read a lot of helpful information and thought I would ask a questions and see if I get some useful advice. First to start from the beginning. My engine would not turn over, so after doing some research I concluded my outdrive was frozen and needed to be removed for the engine to start. I removed the outdrive and the engine fired right up. Now I am trying to figure out what could be wrong with my outdrive. It does not appear the shaft coming from the upper unit is wanting to turn. Could this be bearing??? or do I need to replace the whole shaft or possible the entire upper unit. Any advice is much appreciated and thank you for your help!

-Mike

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Did ya drain the oil from it,..?? what color was it,..?? any metal in it,..??

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Can we get some basic info? What type of drive (model, ser number, age, history, etc). (it may be semantics and splitting hairs, but there is no such thing as a "pre-alpha" drive, since there are various versions of models before the alpha... so we need the vintage info). The more info you can provide, the better.
Photos? They always help. Can you turn the prop shaft? Can you actuate the shift shaft? Any evidence inside the drive shaft bellows? ready to split the upper/lower halves? (or maybe you have already). Oh, and welcome aboard!

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

take upper cap off and do you see gears in good condition.
could drain lube then after splitting cases see if the upper or lower is the problem.
more than likely the upper though but pictures tell a thousand words!!!!!

MikeyD123

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome. I have not drained the oil yet but I will do so tomorrow. I will also open the top end to take a look at the gears before taking the lower unit off.

I am not sure which model I have I know it was the original on a '79 Sea Ray Sundancer 260. I will take a few photos and post them with what I find. Thank you all again for giving me a great place to start!