96 Evinrude 90 water in cylinder.

OutragousBob

Cadet
Hi I'm new here,

I'm trying to solve a problem with my 90hp ocean pro 60 degree looper. I have water getting into the lower port side cylinder. I pulled the head figureing I had a bad head gasket and found a few scores around the exhaust port. I installed new head gasket o-rings and did a compression check, I had 116lbs in the lower port cylinder. I put about four hours on the motor yesterday and it ran well at all speeds exept idle where it was rough. When I got home I pulled the plugs and again found the lower port cylinder full of milky water and oil. I checked the compression and it was showing 120 in the watery lower port cylinder. I pulled the head again, but I couldn't find a problem with the head gasket or head(it is not warped etc.). I'm at a loss as to where the water is getting in. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bob.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 96 Evinrude 90 water in cylinder.

signs of water intrusion in cylinders would leave your spark plugs steam cleaned , are any of them like this?

OutragousBob

Cadet

signs of water intrusion in cylinders would leave your spark plugs steam cleaned , are any of them like this?

There is not a trace of carbon in the affected cylinder. It is clean. If I idle for an extended period of time (IE no wake zone) the affected cylinder will not fire due to the water. It turns the unburned fuel and oil to a mixture that looks like a coffee shake. I hope that makes sense.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you have problems with the p/h base gasket and /or the exhaust hsg. OMC had probs with them back in those days.

Haffiman

Commander

Second the above about base gasket. Unfortunately it often went into a bad piston as well if not replaced quickly!! Use ORIGINAL new gasket!!!!!

OutragousBob

Cadet

Thanks guys,

I had not thought of the power head base gasket. Would the water enter through the exhaust port? I have heard a slight ticking noise that could have been an exhaust leak. I assume water could not get into the intake track through the base gasket? Thanks again, at least I have a direction to go in.

Bob.