Volvo upper gear box

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a friend, who is a know it all, and he says ( I need to win this disscussion, case of beer is at stake, and he's a lurker on this board ), that the upper gearbox, gear ratio is mated to the lower case gear ratio ( prop casing ) my understanding is that the gear ratio is in the lower prop casing and one could use a , let's say a upper gear case from let's say a 275, 4 banger and put it on a 280 v-8 prop casing and not have to worry about the upper gearing, I hope I'm right?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo upper gear box

I Don't Do Volvos,..... So I Can't say for Sure......<br /><br />But,.... With the Alpha Series of Mercruisers,......<br />All the lower Gear Cases are a 1.65/1 ratio.......<br />The Final Drive Ratio is changed by swapping out a different set of Upper gears in the Upper Gear Case....................

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Poor Bondo, what a waste of his typing skills. Volvo is just the opposite. The uppers are the same and the lowers change the gear ratio of the drive.

Bondo

Staff member

Really......<br />I guess that was a wasted 1/2 hour of typing.......<br /><br />I'm Glad I didn't go for a Double or Nothing Bet.............. :D :rolleyes:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Thats nice to know since I have an upper just taking up room.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

That is why a Volvo DP foot can be installed on an SX drive without changing the upper gears.