OMC hangs in forward and reverse when in water

grandpax7

Cadet
My father in law has a fiberform with omc, he says that when out in the water that it sticks in forward and or reverse and has to shut off motor to get it back into neutral, but when on dry land doesn't do it. I said that it is a possiblity that when the prop is building pressure to push boat along compared to on dryland, that it sounds to me that it is a gear issue in outdrive. Am I close or far off.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC hangs in forward and reverse when in water

Sounds like his ESA isn't working. Do a search on that and you'll find several threads on how to diagnose and repair. It is a system that studders the engine while shifting out of gear....which reduces the torque from the engine on the drive and makes it easier or in his case possible.

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like his ESA isn't working. Do a search on that and you'll find several threads on how to diagnose and repair. It is a system that studders the engine while shifting out of gear....which reduces the torque from the engine on the drive and makes it easier or in his case possible.

That would be the first thing that I would look into.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What OMC drive is this?

I may be wrong but i don't think they even made Fiberforms by the time the Cobras were out.

To the other posters on this thread. Better to find out what model before giving advice that may be incorrect.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What OMC drive is this?

I may be wrong but i don't think they even made Fiberforms by the time the Cobras were out.

To the other posters on this thread. Better to find out what model before giving advice that may be incorrect.

Good point. Glad I added Bob's disclaimer to my sig. :facepalm:

grandpax7

Cadet

It is actually a cobra, not sure the size, but it does have a cobra tag on it

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Can you let us know the year/model of the engine/drive? Does it have the original distributor?

Have you tested the ESA by pushing on the shift switch to see if it stumbles the engine?

grandpax7

Cadet

1978 24 ft. fiberform with OMC Cobra. MOD 986032 serial T075879 engine 4.3L what it is doing I have found out is that when I teste ESA and ground the wire and or checking the switches that the motor is actually dieing. When I slowly move the stick forward or reverse I can get the system to work but kills the motor. So in order to get it into gear you have to move quick. Also it has the GM Electronic distributor not points.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Cobras didn't come out until 1986 so that is strange. Somewhat must have put it on an older boat. That model number is a 1990 OMC Cobra drive.

Can you show a picture of the distributor? When people say GM distributor, it can mean many things.

Generally, you have to do a whole lot of modifications to get as ESA to work with an electronic distributor. If you have the Delco EST distributor you can get an ESA to work but it has to be the aftermarket CDI brand ESA.

grandpax7

Cadet

Not a problem but I uploaded a picture of the boat 2012-07-12 20.03.34.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Hopefully, a picture of the distributor is coming next?

grandpax7

Cadet

2012-07-20_17-35-29_982.jpg ok here is distributor, and yes this not factory installation, I keep getting info everyday, something different from father in law.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That is an automotive distributor. Not only is it not safe to use in a boat, you will never get it to work with an ESA.

By the way, it is also not a 4.3L engine because a 4.3L is a V-6 and that distributor has 8 spark plug wires on it.

If that drive really is model number 986032, it also not geared properly for a V-8.

You can either find a points distributor to replace it or buy the Delco EST and then you have a couple options to do a shift interrupt with it. One is with a CDI ESA and the other is wire up your shift switch like a Mercruiser does.