4.3gl Starts but dies after 3 seconds consistantly

maximk

Recruit
Hello hello,

Well I am stumped. I have a 2005 4.3gl-d. I bought the boat a few weeks ago but it hadn't been run much. So first thing i did drained the fuel tank and changed the fuel filter. Next I put in two new batteries. Of course I hooked one up backwards and the alternator started smoking. So i was like that sucks. I then hooked the battery up the right way. Got it started up and the boat ran super awesome. We put it in the water and spent 3 day using the boat. Boat ran great. Then I thought i had best replace the alternator as I had obviously fried the diodes in mine.

So I put on a new alternator. Started her up and after 20-30 seconds of idling the engine dies. Starts right back up and dies... again and again. Starts every time.

From reading a few posts i thought maybe the diodes on the way to the fuel pump were bad due to my ineptitude. Well i replaced them and same problem. Thoughts? The new alternator seems to be working fine. 14.5 volts at the batteries while running.

Colliemcc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 4.3gl Starts but dies after 3 seconds consistantly

The fuel pump relay could be bad. Check to see if the fuel pump is running when the engine is running. Or you could jump it at the relay and see does the boat stay running.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3gl Starts but dies after 3 seconds consistantly

The fact that it starts up and runs for 30 seconds shows the relay is working. If the alternator is working properly, you likely have a bad diode in the green wire in the wiring harness between the fuel pump relay and the alternator.