1982 Johnson 9.9hp - starter not working

lindy46

Captain
I'm helping my neighbor with his 1982 9.9hp Johnson - the starter is not firing at all. I thought maybe a ground wire from the solenoid, so I looked for a starter solenoid and couldn't find one. Looks like power from the battery goes directly into the neutral safety switch. Anybody have any knowledge of the starter system on these "new-fangled" motors?

AlTn

Commander
Re: 1982 Johnson 9.9hp - starter not working

no direct experience,but you are correct according to a 1978 9.9 factory manual...the plunger from the start neutral switch rides on the cam from the lockout lever...looks like it can be adjusted by the 2 screws just to the rear of the plunger and almost parallel with it...no solenoid shown

Will Bark

Lieutenant

The push button for the starter is a 60amp button and acts as the solenoid; if that button is fried you get no start. I pick my buttons up at Auto Zone or O'rielly's. Make sure they are the 60 amp and have the rubber cover over the button.

lindy46

Captain

The push button for the starter is a 60amp button and acts as the solenoid; if that button is fried you get no start. I pick my buttons up at Auto Zone or O'rielly's. Make sure they are the 60 amp and have the rubber cover over the button.

Thanks! That appears to be the problem. Factory switch is REALLY expensive.