a few problems

shrowder1979

Cadet
hey everyone. i'm having a few problems with the motor/sterndrive. i've read other posts and the one problem we're having sounds like others have also with it rev'ing up on its own. second problem that we are having is both motors have the rpms (3,000) but we have no speed. when we first put the boat in the year and till this morning, we've lost 6-9 mph. is this second issue a possible dirty fuel filters? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: a few problems

Well acording to my crystal ball you need to pull in the anchors before trying a speed test.

NYBo

Admiral

You need to give us lot more information, like the type of motors, trailered vs slipped boat, etc.

If you are reaching the same RPM as previously (3000 RPM is low for WOT except for diesels), this isn't a fuel filter problem. Perhaps the hull is fouled with marine growth, which will definitelu slow you down.

shrowder1979

Cadet

not sure if my reply replied or not NYBo, but it has duel omc 3.0l 140 hp. its on a trailer when not in the water. i was on the boat a few times last year, and my friend that we bought the from never had these issues with it. since being new to the boating scene, not sure what WOT means. thanks.

NYBo

Admiral

WOT = wide open throttle

A couple of more questions for ya:
1. How are you measuring speed?
2. Is 3000 RPM the max you can get out of the motors? Are they running the same?

shrowder1979

Cadet

speed is being measured by gps, and 3000 is what we can get out of the port motor and the starboard motor we can go over 3000. to keep the motors equal we run them at 3000.

NYBo

Admiral

Time to figure out what's wrong with the port motor. You should be able to get up near 4800 RPM.

shrowder1979

Cadet

the motor its self. the other issue we're having is that both motors, starboard more than the port motor reves up like something is slipping. from reading other posts about roughly the same issue that we're having, majority of responses have been about the prop possibly slipping.

emoney

Commander

Sounds like you've got more than one issue going on at once. The starboard motor not going over 3000rpm is the first one you need to tackle and it needs to start with the "Big 3": Compresion-Spark-Fuel.

shrowder1979

Cadet

ok. today we changed the points, reset the timing, motors ran much better. ran each motor separately, port motor ran 3400 rpms, while starboard motor got 2900 rpms out of it. going to change fuel filters tomorrow and try another test run and see what we get. test run may not be tomorrow but when we do run it again, i'll post results.