Should I put a Evinrude etec 40hp on my boat?

Glasspar69

Cadet
hey guys i just joined iboats forums. I came to ask you guys if my 1969 14ft glasspar boat can handle a 40hp evinrude etec i can not find out what the max hp is because my boat was built before they required manufaterures to put those on boats. I have also considered the mercury 40hp EFI but i am not a big fan of mercury from bad past experiences with those compicated engines. please help me with this topic. Thanks

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Should I put a Evinrude etec 40hp on my boat?

They are both expensive, complicated, computer controlled, fuel injected motors.
Looks like the Glasspar had a 40 (33?) on it originally:
800px-Glassparb69011.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

With an old boat like that, go period. Older engines can be just as reliable as newer ones and they will be way cheaper. A decent two cylinder 40 HP Rude should move that boat quite nicely.

Glasspar69

Cadet

Thanks for the advice guys i really like the speed the 40hp etec gives but i am afraid that the 240lbs of weight it has not sure if my 18inch transom can handle it. So i am wondering if will half to rebuild the transom? to watch a video i saw a boat like mine on youtube (not exactly the same as mine but simular) type into the search 1958 Duracaft and click on the video that says 1958 duracraft with evinrude etec in the video he said he replaced the old transom with airline aluminum for the etec and i am wondering if i half to do that to my boat. Please help me.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Glasspar69. I think the biggest issue is the weight of the etec motor. Your boat was rated for old 2 stroke motors, which were much lighter than their modern counterparts. I would think a vintage OMC 40 would weigh about 120-140lbs. I think my old '66 33 hp Johnson weighed about that much. I know it was light enough that I could lift it on and off the transom by myself. I also think that with a bit of research, the period motors are just as reliable and about 1000 times cheaper and easier to work on. Plus, they look awesome, the old timers at the dock dig 'em and they're total chick magnets ;) Give these articles a read and perhaps your mind will be changed, if not I would think a 20-30 hp modern motor would be the max your boat could hand without beefing up the transom significantly.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/columns/max/07/index.htm
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm

Glasspar69

Cadet

thanks for the response i wouldnt mind getting a old vintage outboard but they are starting to uestion the emmissions of old 2strokes where i live so i dont want to get a vintage motor and have them say i cant use it any more so i am getting a direct fuel injected 2 stroke which they will allow people to use. along with 4 strokes i will probably get the evinrude etec 25 E25DPL which is the evinrude etec 25 remote model with electric start and power tilt which is 177lbs. vs. the 240lbs. from the etec 40. Thanks agian for the response.

kfa4303

Banned

No problem. The good news is that, they rate hp differently (at the propshaft rather than the driveshaft) on modern motors than they did on old vintage motors. As a result, old motors are a little less powerful than their modern cousins. A vintage 30 hp, is more like a modern 25 hp in terms of true power, so an etec 25 hp would be roughly equivalent to a vintage 30-35 hp. Either way, a nice etec 25 hp should move you along nicely. If you can live without the power trim/tilt you could use some of the lbs you save to possibly get a bit more hp for the same weight. Of course, keeping your boat as light and well balanced, finding the best engine height, along proper trim and tilt will help you get the most out of your set up. Shoot, there are guys in my neck of the woods that get +25 mph using little 9.9 hp motors on Gheenoes and little flats skiffs just by keeping everything super light. Keep us posted on your decision.

Glasspar69

Cadet

No problem. The good news is that, they rate hp differently (at the propshaft rather than the driveshaft) on modern motors than they did on old vintage motors. As a result, old motors are a little less powerful than their modern cousins. A vintage 30 hp, is more like a modern 25 hp in terms of true power, so an etec 25 hp would be roughly equivalent to a vintage 30-35 hp. Either way, a nice etec 25 hp should move you along nicely. If you can live without the power trim/tilt you could use some of the lbs you save to possibly get a bit more hp for the same weight. Of course, keeping your boat as light and well balanced, finding the best engine height, along proper trim and tilt will help you get the most out of your set up. Shoot, there are guys in my neck of the woods that get +25 mph using little 9.9 hp motors on Gheenoes and little flats skiffs just by keeping everything super light. Keep us posted on your decision.

thanks for the response I can get the evinrude etec 30 in the same model as the 25 and it will be the same weight but it is $800 more than the 25 i will get the 30 if i can get the extra $800 bucks if not i will get the 25. Thanks for the info

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

If I ever run out of these old 40's (doubtful) or get tired of messing with them (maybe....), I'll probably go with a 25 or 30hp. The 40 is really damn fast for a boat this size, and I don't plan on pulling any skiers with it anymore.