Update on the Repower of the OMC 165 GM L6

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Okay, I found out you can only have 8 images in a post, so I'll update here. I'll save a lot of verbiage and replace with pictures, but here's the old motor in my garage, parts trashed off of it or removed, cleaned, prepped and installed on the new longblock:<br /><br />
OldMotor2.jpg
<br /><br />
OldMotor1.jpg
<br /><br />When I removed the drain plug (and then the oil pan), about a gallon of water came out first, then another gallon or more of emulsified oil. It was sad to see, but I guess I'm happy now...<br /><br />Lookie what I've been up to! <br /><br />
NewMotorSt2.jpg
<br /><br />
NewMotorPort2.jpg
<br /><br />
NewMotorSt.jpg
<br /><br />
NewMotorPort.jpg
<br /><br />And here's the new manifold, getting her new paint:<br /><br />
NewManifold.jpg
<br /><br /><br />Now I'm waiting on my NEW FUEL PUMP and the thermostat housing gasket.<br /><br />I was not feeling too confident about the whole "valve lash adjustment", so I called the techies that built my longblock and they told me to forget what the manual said. Instead, start with No 1 cyl at TDC and adjust the valves for it. Rotate the crankshaft to No 2's TDC and adjust those valves. Keep doing that through No 6 and it's done. Much more simple, but same good results.<br /><br />Anyway, I'm close to putting her back in the boat and testing her out!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Update on the Repower of the OMC 165 GM L6

The rocker arms on your core block are probably wort as much as the core itself. <br /><br />Looking good so far.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Update on the Repower of the OMC 165 GM L6

But if you look at No 1 and No 6, you'll see that whoever built that one (core) had to grind down the rocker arms to make them fit. I thought about moving them over to the new block, but I'm sure warranty man would love to see the ground-down Crane Roller-Rockers!!!<br /><br />They sure are pretty though, huh?