99 penta sx outdrive leaking oil?

dmaxim01

Recruit
I have a 1999 volvo penta 4.3 with sx outdrive. Boat runs great nothing seems to be wrong except after I drive for a bit and water comes up over the outdrive it seems to be leaking oil because I can see it in the water. I did chnage my outdrive oil this year, so do I have a bad gasket or is there one I needed to replace?
Thanks
Dave

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 99 penta sx outdrive leaking oil?

You need to pull the outdrive, and check the bellows for water and oil. Common problem when bellows get too old.

Also drain the outdrive and pressure check it to be sure there are no other leaks.

dmaxim01

Recruit

thanks don, also this will sound stupid but i dont know a ton about boats. When you take that cover off the shift lever cover i think its called? i removed that oil level plug and spilled a lot of oil in there so does that shift lever cover allow water in or is it sealed?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That cover isn't sealed. Just decorative.

dmaxim01

Recruit

so if something was wrong with the bellows or there is a leak somewhere. would everything still run and work fine?

security6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so if something was wrong with the bellows or there is a leak somewhere. would everything still run and work fine?

Yes, everything will still run and work fine for a while. Eventually though, your oil will be diluted with water or the water will wash the grease out of your bearings, and then you might as well be running without oil or grease. If you seize up your outdrive due to lack of oil, you're looking at a $5k to $7k repair bill.